Campbell’s brace downs Wolves

Fraizer Campbell’s brace secured a 2-1 Championship win over

Wolves for leaders Cardiff, who pulled eight points clear.

Campbell headed the visitors into the lead at Molineux after 20

minutes, steering the ball home from close range – and he made it

2-0 on 67, getting on the end of an assist from Craig Bellamy.

There was a glimmer of hope for the hosts when Bakary Sako

reduced the deficit on 70 minutes, slamming an 18-yard free-kick

into the net.

But Malky Mackay’s table-toppers held on for a 22nd league win

of the season which left Wolves in 22nd place, two points below

nearest rivals Barnsley.

The opening exchanges saw a flurry of long-range efforts, with

Aron Gunnarsson and Peter Whittingham failing to trouble Carl Ikeme

before Bjorn Sigurdarson flashed a 25-yard strike just wide for the


Wolves matched Cardiff’s high tempo – but fell behind on 20 when

Gunnarsson’s long throw was flicked into the path of Campbell and

his header from six yards out gave Ikeme no chance.

There were some signs of promise for Wolves, with Sigurdarson

tricking his way down the left and providing a cross for Sako, who

headed just wide before wasting his side’s best chance of the half,

miscuing wide when well placed.

Dean Saunders made a bold double change at the break,

introducing Sylvan Ebanks-Blake and Kevin Doyle in place of Tongo

Doumbia and Danny Batth.

But within a couple of minutes of the restart, City had the ball

in the net but Bellamy’s effort from Ikeme’s fumble was ruled out

for offside.

There was no linesman’s intervention when Campbell headed in

Bellamy’s cross after 67 minutes and it looked as though Cardiff

had the points in the bag.

A deflected free-kick from Sako three minutes later following

Ben Turner’s foul on Doyle gave Wolves hope.

But even that soon disappeared as the clock ticked down and

Ebanks-Blake spurned their final chance to take something from the

game when his shot from Sako’s cross bounced off the turf and over

the bar.