After 14 months in prison, Reza Madadi says he’s back with the UFC
Following a 14-month prison sentence, Reza Madadi says he’s signed a new contract with the UFC to return to the lightweight division after being out of action for more than two years.
Madadi was a part of the UFC roster for three fights, amassing a 2-1 record — including a submission victory over No. 5 ranked fighter Michael Johnson in his last bout in 2013.
Less than two months after his win over Johnson, Madadi was arrested in Sweden in connection with a robbery of a designer handbag store where three masked men smashed a window with a sledgehammer and stole more than $150,000 in goods.
Madadi was put on trial and convicted, being sentenced to 18-months in prison. He was the only culprit who was sent to prison for the crime.
Madadi appealed the hearing and was given a second trial, but he was found guilty again and ended up serving 14-months in a Swedish prison before being released earlier this year.
Now following his conviction and prison sentence, Madadi says he’s signed a new contact to return to the UFC to resume the career he lost two years ago.
— rezamaddog (@RezaMaddog) June 10, 2015
"Two years ago they said ‘this guy’s never going to come back, he’s too old, he doesn’t deserve the chance anymore’ but I just want to tell you, all the haters, I’m back," Madadi said in a video released on Wednesday. "I’m back again in the UFC, stronger than ever."
Madadi, who turns 37 later this month, is part of the same team in Sweden as former title challenger Alexander Gustafsson. The two Sweden-based fighters also share the same management team.
UFC officials have not confirmed his signing as of yet, but both Madadi and his management team posted about the new contract on Wednesday.