The Latest: Mistrial sought in Derrick Rose rape lawsuit
LOS ANGELES (AP) The Latest on the trial of a lawsuit accusing NBA star Derrick Rose and two others of gang-raping a woman (all times local):
The judge in the trial of a rape lawsuit against NBA star Derrick Rose and two other men has criticized the plaintiff's lawyers as ''unbelievably careless'' in production of exhibits and says he's considering a mistrial.
Rose's lawyers asked Los Angeles U.S. District Court Judge Michael W. Fitzgerald to declare a mistrial Tuesday because they had not been given three text messages important to their case until Friday, when Rose was on the witness stand.
The lawyers for the woman who accuses Rose and two friends of raping her in her apartment in 2013 say the texts were previously disclosed and the argument is frivolous.
The judge says it is not a frivolous matter and he told the lawyers to prove the texts had been disclosed.
The judge says if there is a mistrial it would push a new trial into the regular NBA season.
NBA star Derrick Rose is set to return to the witness stand in a $21 million lawsuit that alleges he and two friends raped an incapacitated woman.
Before Rose retakes the stand Tuesday, a judge will consider a mistrial request from Rose's lawyer. The lawyer says the other side failed to reveal a text message that was relevant to the case until it came up Friday.
Rose had to miss the New York Knicks' preseason game with the Washington Wizards Monday night in order to get to court Tuesday.
When Rose first took the stand Friday, he testified that he had received sexual text messages from the woman throughout the day in August, 2013 when the alleged rape occurred.
Rose said he took those messages as consent for sex.