Talbot sidelined for a month

Talbot sidelined for a month

Published Jan. 8, 2013 1:15 p.m. ET

Neal Eardley is reaping the benefits of a frank discussion with boss Michael Appleton after winning back his place in the Blackpool defence.

Wales international Eardley was left out in the cold for the remainder of 2012 after starting Appleton's first game at the helm against Bolton in November.

But the 24-year-old returned at right-back as part of the back four that shut out high-flying Hull for a goalless draw on New Year's Day and was retained to face Fulham in the FA Cup at the weekend.

Eardley told the Blackpool Gazette: "I went in to see the gaffer. I didn't have a bad attitude and storm in, or anything like that.


"I just went in to ask if there was anything I'd done wrong or could improve on to get back into his side. He told me I needed to work on some defensive things and that's what I've tried to do.

"Over the last few weeks, I've kept my head down, done what the manager asked of me and I'm pleased to be getting my chance now. Hopefully I can get a little run now."

Shrews forward Gornell has proved a hit since moving to Spotland on loan in November, scoring five times in eight League Two starts.

The 25-year-old's deal at Dale expired after Saturday's 1-0 home defeat to AFC Wimbledon but Turner is in the dark with regards John Coleman's plans for a player his opposite number managed at Accrington.

"I've had discussions with Rochdale but we're no further forward on that one," he told Shrewsbury's official website.

"His loan finished on Saturday and there is a chance he will go there and stay longer at Rochdale.

"There's a chance he will be back with us on Thursday. I don't know Rochdale's intentions right at this point."

Talbot was forced off with the injury early in the second half of the Spireites' 2-1 defeat at Wycombe on Saturday.

The versatile 26-year-old, an ever-present for the League Two club this season, was told the news after seeing a specialist on Tuesday afternoon.

"It's not a major injury but he should be out for four weeks," said Chesterfield physio Jamie Hewitt. "He can start running in a couple of weeks and then progress to ball work."