Robinho hopes Manchester City will allow him to stay at Santos.
The Brazil international ended his six-month loan spell at Santos on Wednesday by helping the club win the Copa Brasil.
Robinho has impressed at Santos after falling out of favour at City under Roberto Mancini.
The 26-year-old is now due to return to City, but the skilful playmaker faces an uncertain future at Eastlands with Mancini planning to bring in striking reinforcements.
The former Real Madrid ace now plans to hold talks with City to try and win a return to Santos.
"I'm going to ask Manchester City to let me stay at Santos," Robinho told Globo TV.
"This club has only brought me joy so far. I won two Brazilian championships [in 2002 and 2004] here before and now we've won the Copa do Brasil.
"I have to talk to Manchester City about what will happen with me in the future. I have a contract with them and that has to be respected. My heart is with Santos, but if Manchester City don't want me to stay here, I have to respect that."
Santos president Luis Alvaro de Oliveira Ribeiro remains hopeful that Robinho will persuade City to let him return to the club.
"The club [City] have told us they don't want to loan him out again but Robinho will go back and talk to their board," said the Santos president. "No one plays where one doesn't want to and I still believe we can persuade Manchester City to loan him for a little longer.
"We agreed a free loan at the start of the year and we want the same conditions now, whereby we pay his wages. That would be good for Brazilian football, for Robinho and for Manchester City themselves because it would keep the value of the player.
"I will fight for Robinho just as the players fought on the pitch [to win the Brazilian Cup], up to the limit of our possibilities."