Pele, Bobby Charlton join FIFA 2014 task force

BY foxsports • April 14, 2011

Pele will be Franz Beckenbauer's deputy on a FIFA-appointed team that will recommend ways to improve soccer before the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.

FIFA on Thursday announced a 22-member Task Force Football 2014, which includes World Cup winners Bobby Charlton, Cafu and Christian Karembeu.

Other former players include former AC Milan teammates Demetrio Albertini and Dejan Savicevic, Fernando Hierro and Zambia's Kalusha Bwalya.

The task force is a pet project of FIFA President Sepp Blatter, who said last year it would help create ''a more attractive'' World Cup.

''This vastly experienced team will address every facet of the game, tackling any challenges related to the game and coming up with appropriate solutions,'' Blatter said Thursday in a statement.

FIFA also appointed Swiss referee Massimo Busacca and officials from three countries who lost in bidding for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups: United States federation leader Sunil Gulati, England's Alex Horne and Japan's Kohzo Tashima.

FIFA says the panel will meet May 10 in Zurich.


share story