Pantsil to wait over Fulham future

BY foxsports • April 7, 2011

The Ghana full-back, signed by former boss Roy Hodgson from West Ham in July 2008, has made just 16 appearances for the Cottagers this season after falling out of favour with Hughes. Pantsil has not featured since February 5 against Aston Villa, when he netted an own goal, as he did versus Liverpool earlier in the season, as Carlos Salcido has been preferred ahead of him. The 29-year-old played the full 90 minutes of Ghana's friendly against England at Wembley last month, but feels there is "no future" for him at Fulham after the end of his current deal. Hughes accepts Pantsil has perhaps been unfortunate to find himself out of the matchday squad, but revealed there was unlikely to be any contract discussions until the end of the campaign. "John has been a bit unlucky, and he has gone out of the side," said the Cottagers boss. "He is one of the players who are out of contract in the summer. "I have said we will look at the situation at the end of the season. "We have negotiated a number of contracts this year because of so many players being out of contract at the end of the season. We have completed most of them, others will have to wait." Another player whose future also remains unclear is midfielder Zoltan Gera. The Hungarian captain, 32 later this month, played a key role in helping Hodgson's men reach the Europa League final last season, but has become frustrated at a perceived lack of chances this term. Hughes said: "I would like Zoltan to remain here, but obviously he would like to play on a more regular basis and I can't guarantee that to any of the players. "He may feel, and we seem to get that message, that he needs to move elsewhere to get more football that he craves. "I hope that is not the case because I would like Zoltan to stay here and he knows that, but we will have to wait and see." Fulham have slowly climbed away from the relegation zone following a run of just two defeats in the last 11 Premier League games. Hughes takes his men to former club and leaders Manchester United on Saturday, where Wayne Rooney will start his two-match ban, after the Football Association upheld their sanction following his swearing into a camera after scoring at West Ham. The England striker was back making headlines for the right reasons last night with the goal which beat Chelsea in their Champions League quarter-final first leg at Stamford Bridge. Hughes said: "Having watched his performance last night, I am obviously pleased, because I thought he was outstanding." However, the former United striker knows Sir Alex Ferguson has plenty in reserve. "If Rooney is not available, then that is a positive from our point of view," said Hughes. "But saying that, they have a lot of very good players who can come in and make and impact in his place. "While it is good news you are not facing a world-class striker, there certainly have other talents that can cause you problems as well."


share story