Iceland
More than 8 percent of Iceland's population is at the Euros
Iceland

More than 8 percent of Iceland's population is at the Euros

Published Jun. 14, 2016 2:57 p.m. ET

Iceland have their entire country behind them at the Euros. Well, not quite literally, but pretty damn close because more than 8 percent of the nation's population applied for tickets to Euro matches to see their team play at the tournament.

According to UEFA, Iceland fans applied for 26,985 tickets to see their national team play, which is stunning considering that the entire country has a population of roughly 330,000.

For comparison's sake, if 8 percent of the United States population applied for tickets to an event, there would be 26 million people applying.

It's not entirely surprising that the people of Iceland are all-in on their team. Euro 2016 is the first time the country has ever qualified for a major tournament so this is truly historic and marks the biggest stage the national team has ever been on. Of course the Icelandic people want to see it, and a trip to France isn't a bad way to spend a month anyway. But still, 8 percent is absolutely outrageous.

ADVERTISEMENT

Hopefully Iceland give their fans reason to cheer. All 8 percent of them in France, and the remaining 92 percent back home.

MORE FROM FOX SOCCER

share


Get more from Iceland Follow your favorites to get information about games, news and more

in this topic