Jol poised to stay after Ajax talks

BY foxsports • July 20, 2010

Martin Jol is prepared to snub Fulham and remain at Ajax, providing the Dutch giants allow him to strengthen the squad this summer.

Jol is reportedly Fulham's first choice to replace Roy Hodgson, who has joined Liverpool, but the Dutchman has hinted he will remain in Amsterdam after talks with the Ajax hierarchy.

"They (Fulham) were interested but in principle I will stay at Ajax," Jol told Amsterdam-based newspaper De Telegraaf this morning.

Jol had been told he was not able to recruit this summer until Holland right-back Gregory van der Wiel and Uruguay striker Luis Suarez had departed - freeing up funds.

But, following talks with financial director Jeroen Slop and chief executive Rik van den Boog, Jol has been reassured he can bring in a cheap right-wing option and then spend more if the likes of Van der Wiel and Suarez leave.

The plan needs to be approved by the club's supervisory board - headed by Uri Coronel - but that is unlikely to be a problem after they recruited Jol just a year ago.

However, earlier reports in the Daily Mirror suggested Jol was tempted by a move to the Cottagers.

"On Thursday evening Fulham contacted me. Fulham said they wanted me as their new manager and they contacted Ajax," Jol said.

"The Premier League is the best competition in the world, and I like London very much. Fulham is a great opportunity.

"The way it is going at Ajax we cannot play for the title, or the biggest prizes.

"For the past two weeks I have been very worried about what is going to happen with Ajax.

"In the past they have paid too much for not so good players and now they have no money to invest in the squad."


share story