Bruce saddened by Lennon attack

BY foxsports • May 13, 2011

Lennon was attacked on the touchline by a supporter during his side's clash with Hearts at Tynecastle on Wednesday evening. The Irishman has also been the target of parcel bombs and bullets sent through the post earlier this season. Bruce said: "There are certain things in football now which are creeping in, and with Neil Lennon in particular, and it is sad, really. "It's a sad indictment of society today, unfortunately, which is awful. "None of us like to see it. It's a game of football at the end of the day. "We know it means a lot to a lot of people, but to go as far as letter bombs and bullets through the post and attacks is a bit far." Bolton boss Owen Coyle joined Bruce in the condemning the incident at Tynecastle. "It's not nice for anyone involved and particularly for the game as a whole, and the sooner it's eradicated the better," he said. "I think we've got to put football in context." Asked if additional security was required around dug-outs in general, Coyle added: "If it's going to stop the incident that happened the other night then the answer to that is yes, obviously. "But I think we'd all agree we haven't seen anything like that before and I think there's a little more to it than just generalising there. It's deep-rooted." John Wilson, 26, of Edinburgh, was on Thursday charged with breach of the peace aggravated by religious prejudice and assault aggravated by religious prejudice in regards to the Lennon incident on Wednesday night. He made no plea and was remanded in custody.


share story