Police talk to Marshall about stabbing
After initially refusing to cooperate with police, Miami Dolphins wide receiver Brandon Marshall has spoken with law enforcement about being stabbed during a domestic altercation with his wife.
Ron Ishoy, communications manager for the Broward (Fla.) County state attorney's office, told FOXSports.com on Thursday that Marshall was recently served a subpoena to speak with investigators about the April incident.
“He indeed appeared at the Broward state attorney’s office and gave a statement to investigators,” Ishoy wrote in an email. “The investigation continues.”
Michi Nogami-Marshall was arrested and charged with aggravated battery with a deadly weapon after allegedly stabbing Marshall at their South Florida home. Nogami-Marshall told police upon her arrest that she had acted in self defense.
Brandon Marshall was treated at a local hospital for a stab wound to the abdomen and released.
At a May NFL owners meeting in Indianapolis, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell was asked whether failure to cooperate with law enforcement would be considered a violation of the NFL’s personal conduct code.
“It’s a hypothetical, but I would tell you that we do expect anyone who is involved with a legal issue to cooperate,” Goodell said.
Goodell plans to enforce the league’s personal conduct policy for transgressions committed during the league’s lockout of players once the work stoppage ends. In light of his history of off-field problems, Marshall could be subject to a suspension depending on what details the police and NFL unearth about the reason for the stabbing.
Marshall was arrested on multiple occasions and involved in other domestic-related incidents between 2006 and 2009, including a 2009 disorderly conduct charge when he and his wife became involved in a physical confrontation in Atlanta. Although most charges were later dismissed, dropped or reduced, Goodell suspended Marshall for one game with Denver in 2008 after shortening his original punishment by two contests.
Nogami-Marshall was arrested again last month for violating a restraining order. She was told not to return to their residence or have any contact with Marshall, who had arrived home and discovered Nogami-Marshall inside.
Acquired by Miami from Denver last offseason for two second-round draft picks, Marshall had 86 receptions for 1,014 yards and three touchdowns in 2010. Marshall also had three consecutive seasons of 100-plus catches with the Broncos from 2007 to 2009.
Marshall reportedly has resumed workouts with a personal trainer and should be ready to participate in practices once the lockout is lifted.