Auburn 31, Louisiana-Monroe 28, OT

Auburn 31, Louisiana-Monroe 28, OT

Published Sep. 15, 2012 10:11 p.m. ET

Cody Parkey hit a 35-yard field goal in overtime on Saturday to lift Auburn to a 31-28 win over a Louisiana-Monroe team trying to pull off another Southeastern Conference upset on Saturday.

The Tigers (1-2) stopped Kolton Browning and the Warhawks to start overtime, and Justin Manton's 37-yard field goal attempt was deflected by Angelo Blackson. Then Tre Mason rushed for 10 yards, and Kiehl Frazier downed the ball on the next play to set up Parkey's winning kick.

The Warhawks (1-1) rallied from 28-7 down to shock Arkansas in overtime a week ago, a rare victory against the SEC. This one wouldn't have been that much of a shocker against struggling Auburn, which led 28-14 midway through the fourth quarter.

Onterio McCalebb rushed for 128 yards and a 27-yard touchdown on 11 carries for the Tigers. Kiehl Frazier threw one touchdown pass and caught another, both 33 yards.


The Warhawks are 4-35 against teams from the SEC but are hardly an automatic victory these days.

Most Auburn fans didn't stick around long to celebrate the escape against a team (0-9) and a league (0-19) that has never beaten the Tigers, who host No. 3 LSU next week.

Browning threw two incompletions in overtime, overthrowing Je'Ron Hamm in the end zone on third down as he was hit by Dee Ford.

He went 28-of-46 passing for 237 yards and three touchdowns, two in the final 6:15. He also ran 14 times for 58 yards even if he couldn't duplicate his 412-yard passing performance against the Razorbacks.

Frazier rebounded from a five-turnover game against Mississippi State. He completed 10-of-18 passes for 130 yards and a 33-yard touchdown to Sammie Coates. Frazier also caught a 33-yard scoring pass after lateralling to Quan Bray and then sprinting down the sideline after the receiver threw it back across the field to him.

Frazier attempted just six passes in the second half, completing one 16-yarder.

He couldn't get Auburn to midfield on its final possession of the fourth.

The Warhawks got two first downs on penalties on their final scoring drive of the fourth quarter, the first when Corey Lemonier - who earlier blocked a field goal - jumped offsides on fourth-and-2. Then Browning fired downfield to Brent Leonard, and Demetruce McNeal was flagged for interference to move the ball to Auburn's 37.

He hit Colby Harper for a 6-yard touchdown, and Manton's extra point tied it.

Mitch Lane's interception of Frazier's worst pass and decision of the day set up Browning's 4-yard touchdown to a diving Harley Scioneaux, his second of the day, five minutes earlier. Browning had hit Hamm for a 14-yard gain on fourth-and-7 two plays earlier.

Auburn scored two touchdowns in the final 2:18 of the first half to take a 21-14 lead, Frazier's catch and the throw to Coates, and bring the crowd back into it.

On his touchdown pass, Frazier started to roll left, spun out of a potential sack and threw the ball into a crowd of players from both teams. It went to Coates in the back of the end zone on the final play of the half.

The momentum carried over with Mason's 1-yard touchdown to cap the opening drive of the second half. McCalebb set it up with a 29-yard run after stumbling and shedding a couple of would-be tacklers near the line.

Auburn threatened to put the game away after McCalebb raced 43 yards late in the third. Then Mike Blakely fumbled at the 1 after a 19-yard run.