National Hockey League
Sharks rally for OT win in Game 3
National Hockey League

Sharks rally for OT win in Game 3

Published Apr. 19, 2011 1:00 a.m. ET

Devin Setoguchi scored 3:09 into overtime to give the San Jose Sharks a 6-5 victory over the Los Angeles Kings, who blew a four-goal lead, in Game 3 of their first-round playoff series on Tuesday night.

The Sharks lead the series 2-1, with Game 4 at Staples Center on Thursday.

Setoguchi's wrist shot beat Jonathan Quick to cap the Sharks' rally from a 4-0 deficit in the second period, when the teams combined for seven goals.

After the offensive barrage in the second period, both teams failed to convert scoring chances in the third, when there were no penalties.


It was the Sharks' second overtime win of the series. They won the opener 3-2.

Antero Nittymaki stopped 11 shots after replacing Antti Niemi, who was pulled early in the second after the Kings scored their fourth consecutive goal.

Quick made 30 saves for the Kings, who had no shots in overtime when the Sharks had two.

Patrick Marleau triggered three straight goals by the Sharks in the second when he tipped in a shot at 3:08 for his first point of the playoffs.

San Jose's Ryane Clowe scored the game's lone power-play goal to make it 4-2. The puck went off Willie Mitchell's left hand and into the net at 6:53. Logan Couture pulled the Sharks to 4-3 with a shot that found the upper right corner of the net at 13:32.

The Kings answered 5 seconds later, with Ryan Smyth's goal at 13:37 keeping them ahead 5-3.

Then the Sharks scored 54 seconds apart to tie the game at 5-all. With Quick pulled wide right, Clowe found plenty of open space for a shot on the left side at 18:35. Joe Pavelski's shot hit the right post and went in with 31 seconds left in the second period, when the Sharks outshot the Kings 18-8.

Mitchell and rookie Kyle Clifford scored 13 seconds apart during a three-goal first period for the Kings.

Mitchell's wrist shot and a backhander by Clifford stunned Niemi twice in the game's first 2 1/2 minutes, getting and keeping the Kings' white towel-waving fans on their feet. Dustin Penner earned his first point of the series, assisting on Mitchell's goal along with Dustin Brown.

Los Angeles led 3-0 when Michal Handzus' first goal of the series sailed under Niemi's legs.

Brad Richardson won a faceoff against Couture in the neutral zone, then had a takeaway in the offensive zone to set up his first goal of the playoffs 44 seconds into the second. Richardson got the puck by Niemi, who had lost his stick, to extend the Kings' lead to 4-0 and chase Niemi.

Notes: The overhead scoreboard malfunctioned near the end of the first period, leaving fans to check smaller scoreboards at each end of the arena until midway through the second. ... The shortest time between goals scored by the Kings in the playoffs was 11 seconds on April 22, 1990, against Edmonton. ... The teams combined to score seven goals in the second period, two short of the record for a Kings' playoff game, which was nine against Calgary on April 10, 1990. ... The announced sellout crowd of 18,216 was standing room only. ... Kings C Anze Kopitar, out of the playoffs because of an ankle injury, got a big cheer when shown watching the game from a box seat.


Get more from National Hockey League Follow your favorites to get information about games, news and more