Sam Bradford: Extension offer 'must have gotten lost in the mail'
By Jason Rowan
A report surfaced this week that indicated the Philadelphia Eagles offered Sam Bradford a four-year contract extension worth about $18 million per year. If the details contained in said report are indeed accurate, there might be one problem: Bradford claims he never heard about it.
The Eagles quarterback flatly denied the report from 94WIP’s Howard Eskin on Monday that the team offered him a four-year deal worth $72 million before the start of the season, joking there may have been a problem with its delivery to him.
“That offer must have got lost in the mail,” Bradford said after practice Wednesday, per CSN Philly. “I never saw that one.”
Bradford is in the final year of a six-year, $86 million contract he signed with the St. Louis Rams before the trade that delivered him to Philly and jettisoned Nick Foles. He’s earning $12.9 million this season but has been mostly erratic at best for the 3-4 Eagles, completing 62 percent of his passes while throwing nine touchdowns to 10 interceptions for a 76.4 rating.
He ranks near the bottom of qualifying quarterbacks in QB rating and yards per attempt and his rankings in touchdown passes and completion percentage have him in the bottom-third. His interceptions total is fourth-worst in the NFL, so it’s abundantly clear he isn’t playing as well as how Chip Kelly envisioned, not by a long shot.
Bradford was asked if he spent any time during the Eagles’ bye week contemplating his future beyond this season.
“I think those thoughts are a long way down the road,” he said. “Obviously we have a big game against Dallas this week. Last week was more about stepping away and getting my mind right and getting ready for this week.”
Whatever the case, if the rumors are true and the Eagles did in fact offer Bradford that extension — the quarterback’s joking comments aside — it’s reasonable to assume the team is grateful he didn’t take it.
More from Sportress of Blogitude: