Massachusetts racist graffiti case reportedly takes unexpected twist

Andrea Brazier reportedly has become the focus of the police investigation.

Last month, a high school football team in Massachusetts was forced to forfeit the remainder of its season after players allegedly spray painted racist graffiti on the home of a teammate. But in a strange twist, the police investigation into the matter is now reportedly focusing on the alleged victim’s mother.

According to the Boston Globe, Lunenburg (Mass.) police and the FBI questioned Andrea Brazier on Nov. 25 about the offensive messages spray painted on her home. 13-year-old Isaac Phillips, Brazier’s son, is half-black and was believed to be the target of the graffiti, which was discovered on Nov. 15 and included the phrase “Knights don’t need n——!”

Brazier previously told police that Phillips had been harassed by teammates on the Lunenburg High School football team, and the initial thought was that the writing was the handiwork of those players. But the players were later cleared, and police then began to pursue other suspects.

The court records obtained by the Boston Globe included an affidavit that detailed Brazier’s conversation with investigators on Nov. 25. During the interview, Brazier reportedly stated that neither her husband, Anthony J. Phillips, nor her son were responsible for the graffiti. However, Brazier also reportedly pushed for the investigation into the matter to end.

“Andrea stated ‘OK,’” the affidavit said, according to the Globe. “Andrea just kept answering ‘OK’ and that she wanted everything to end and that we did not understand.”

After the meeting with Brazier, police received a warrant to search Brazier’s home, which they executed Tuesday.

During the search, the Globe reports, police found a can of Krylon indoor/outdoor spray paint, as well as a can of Krylon Fusion spray paint, which is generally used on plastic — however, it is unknown what color those paints were or whether they could have been used in the crime.

During a previous visit to Brazier’s home on Nov. 18, police also observed two burnt aerosol cans in a fire pit outside the home. According to the Globe’s report, police were given three different accounts of where those cans came from at the time.

Brazier’s husband, Anthony Phillips, has yet to speak on the latest developments, though he reportedly would not allow officers to talk to Brazier about an hour after she abruptly left the meeting on Nov. 25, telling them that he “needed time to absorb all this. It was too much and he needed to protect his family.”

“You all can camp out here all night,” Phillips told reporters waiting outside the home on Tuesday after the police search. “I have no comment.”

As of Wednesday, Brazier was not facing any charges. Her son has since transferred to a different school.