National Football League
Report: Jets fan badly beaten after game
National Football League

Report: Jets fan badly beaten after game

Published Dec. 13, 2011 12:00 a.m. ET

A diehard New York Jets fan was savagely beaten on his own turf by a drunken gang of Kansas City Chiefs fans after their team was trounced Sunday — with one of the assailants barking "F*** New York" and "You all deserved what happened on 9/11," the victim's distraught family told the New York Post.

James Mohr, 23, a physical-education teacher at the Bronx Guild vocational high school, was wearing his Jets gear after the team's 37-10 victory as he walked through Parking Lot J at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J., when a woman standing with a pack of men allegedly screamed the vile taunts, the Post reported.

Mohr took offense and told the rowdies their 9/11 insult was "disrespectful," his sister, Anna Mohr, 28, told the Post.

"Our other brother is a fireman, and my father is retired FDNY, so you can understand why a 9/11 comment would especially irk him," Anna said. "He was shocked anyone would actually say something like that."


Mohr, who lives in Auburndale, Queens, was walking alone from where a group of neighborhood friends had gathered in another part of the lot when he was jumped by up to seven people. At least one was wearing a Chiefs football jersey, a police source confirmed to the Post.

The lifelong Jet fan suffered a fractured jaw, cheekbone and eye socket, and also has bleeding on the brain.

Mohr underwent hours of surgery to repair the injuries Tuesday at New Jersey's Hackensack University Medical Center, where his family was keeping vigil.

"He's hanging in there, and he's scheduled for surgery. We won't know too much until that's done," Anna Mohr said before surgery.

State troopers arrested one of the alleged attackers, a New Jersey man, on a simple assault charge, but state police upgraded the charges after Mohr's condition worsened.

Mohr was reportedly in fair condition Wednesday at Hackensack University Medical Center.

Thirty-five-year-old Merle Lee of Newton is free on bond, charged with aggravated assault.

A stadium representative said, "This is an unacceptable attack on one of our guests, and we have been working with the New Jersey State Police to make sure the man arrested is prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law."


Get more from National Football League Follow your favorites to get information about games, news and more