Monday's NFL labor developments

BY foxsports • March 15, 2011

The legal scene of the labor fight began to take hold Monday as FOXSports.com keeps you up to date on the NFL's labor situation. (All times are Eastern.) | Sunday's updates | Saturday's updates | Friday's updates | March 10 updates | March 9 updates | March 8 updates | March 7 updates | March 4 updates | March 3 updates

 

NFL offered 10-year CBA — 7:38 p.m.

 

The NFL's lead labor negotiator says an additional extension to the collective bargaining agreement wasn't seriously discussed last week before talks broke off.

In a telephone interview with The Associated Press on Monday, Pash says the league ''would have been perfectly willing'' to give players more time to review a proposal owners made on the last day of mediation.

He also tells the AP that owners offered a 10-year CBA.

The twice-extended negotiations broke off Friday. The union dissolved itself, and players sued the league in federal court; owners imposed a lockout.

Saints quarterback Drew Brees says the owners' last proposal ''was all a show, with no real intent to get a deal done.''

Responded Pash: ''We're not the ones who were filing a lawsuit at 5 o'clock.'' — Associated Press

 

Titans owner addresses concerns — 6:42 p.m.

 

Titans owner Bud Adams has sent a letter to season ticket holders answering questions on the NFL's lockout, the draft and how refunds will be handled if any games are canceled.

The Titans say the letter from Adams was mailed out on Monday so season ticket holders should begin receiving them starting Tuesday.

Before the Titans owner addresses the 2011 season, he notes the recent hiring of Mike Munchak as hew coach and how excited he is about the new coaching staff. Adams then addresses how the ''work stoppage'' will impact the 2011 season.

On the back of the letter is a list of eight questions and answers, including pointing that payments on season tickets will be delayed and whether replacement players might be used is a league decision, not one to be made by the Titans. — Associated Press

 

Irsay optimistic about settlement — 6:23 p.m.

 

Colts owner Jim Irsay believes there will be a settlement to the NFL's lockout and that next year's Super Bowl will be played in Indianapolis.

His comments came Monday during a 45-minute news conference to discuss the league's first work stoppage since 1987.

Irsay says he is disappointed by the union dissolving, and he remains optimistic the two sides can make a deal through negotiations.

Irsay also says team employees will not be subjected to furloughs, layoffs or pay cuts.

As for the lawsuit filed on behalf of four-time league MVP Peyton Manning and nine other players, Irsay says he is not taking it personally. Irsay also expects franchise tags to be a part of any new deal. Indy used the franchise tag on Manning last month. — Associated Press

 

Bills release statement — 5:34 p.m.

 

Statements from NFL teams in regard to labor issues continued on Monday. The latest is from Buffalo Bills CEO Russ Brandon, which was sent to season ticket holders.

"We share our fans' disappointment with the news on Friday that the NFLPA has filed for decertification and a work stoppage has begun. We remain hopeful that a new and fair agreement can be reached in time to avoid any significant disruption to our preparations for the 2011 season. We believe that the quickest way to a fair agreement for everyone - players, teams and fans, is through negotiations facilitated by the mediator and not through litigation."

Notice Brandon didn’t mention the term lockout. Teams are trying to avoid using that term when possible in their statements released to fans.

As an organization, winning a championship continues to be our number one goal. Under the direction of General Manager Buddy Nix our entire football staff is hard at work preparing for the upcoming 2011 NFL Draft where we have the 3rd overall selection. (Head) coach (Chan) Gailey and his staff are also hard at work preparing for when our team returns to the field. Concurrently, the administrative departments continue to work diligently on the day-to-day business operations in preparation for the season.

Although the offseason has not kicked off in typical fashion, one constant is the Buffalo Bills commitment to our season ticket holders, business partners and fans. On March 28th we will hold our second annual premium seat holder and sponsor "State of the Bills" event featuring Coach Gailey and GM Buddy Nix. We also are excited to host our annual Draft Day Party here at the Buffalo Bills Fieldhouse on April 28th and 29th for all of our season ticket holders.

We certainly appreciate the support and patience of our fans and we look forward to presenting a full season of exciting Buffalo Bills football in 2011. — Adam Caplan
 

NFLPA rejects 18-game season — 5:26 p.m.

 

The prospects of an expanded regular-season schedule are even more remote than labor negotiations between the NFL and its players.

Kevin Mawae, the president of the now-decertified NFL Players Association, said the 18-game slate heavily pushed by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell as part of a new collective bargaining agreement "never will be" accepted by his group. Full story

 

Hearing set for players' lawsuit vs. NFL — 2:11 p.m.

 

An April 6 hearing date has been set in the federal antitrust lawsuit filed by players against the NFL.

The players filed a request last week for an injunction that would keep the NFL and the teams from engaging in a lockout, which took effect at midnight Friday. Full story

 

Congress eyes NFL's antitrust exemption — 1:54 p.m.

 

A senior House Democrat says he will seek to eliminate the NFL's antitrust exemption for broadcasting contracts.

Michigan Rep. John Conyers, the top Democrat on the House Judiciary Committee, says he will introduce legislation later Monday to strip the league of its exemption. Full story



share story