National Football League
Broncos cut safety after alleged drunken rampage
National Football League

Broncos cut safety after alleged drunken rampage

Published Oct. 23, 2014 4:24 p.m. ET

John Elway can't fix everything.

John Boyett was a safety on the Denver Broncos practice squad until he was given his walking papers on Thursday. So what happened?

Boyett, 24, was arrested early Wednesday after being accused of head-butting and punching a cab driver. Police say he then went on to steal a shovel from a construction site and tried to hide from officers by covering himself in mulch. But authorities claim Boyett wasn't done.

Police went on to say that the player told them to "contact his boss John Elway." According to reports, Boyett then proceeded to slam his head into a police car window several times in addition to yelling and spitting.


Wow. It's no wonder that the Broncos say they were "disappointed." But how did this all start?

The Denver Post reports that Boyett had been enjoying some drinks at the Sports Book Bar & Grill, where bartenders and customers claim he was highly intoxicated and threatening people. According to police, Boyett apparently tried to take food off someone's plate, which is clearly uncool. Police said Boyett threatened to punch a bartender and refused to pay his tab.

Two officers arrived at the scene and put Boyett in a cab, but it was just a matter of minutes before the driver called the cops to report he had been assaulted. Boyett was arrested after police pointed a Taser at him until he complied. He's charged with third-degree assault, theft and harassment.

This is the second time Boyett has been released following a run-in with the law. Boyett made the Indianapolis roster as a sixth-round rookie last season but the Colts released him when he was arrested on charges of disorderly public intoxication and resisting arrest.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.


Get more from National Football League Follow your favorites to get information about games, news and more