Leipzig and coach Ralph Hasenhuettl agree to part ways
LEIPZIG, Germany (AP) Leipzig and coach Ralph Hasenhuettl parted company Wednesday after failing to reach agreement on a new deal despite success with the team.
The Bundesliga club said it wanted Hasenhuettl to stay until his contract expired next year but ”this did not meet the wishes of the 50-year-old Austrian.”
”He did not want to go into the upcoming season without an extension to his current contract,” Leipzig said. ”Therefore, both parties mutually agreed to end the cooperation after two very successful years.”
Hasenhuettl, who took over the newly promoted side in 2016, led Leipzig to second place and the Champions League in its debut Bundesliga season. Faced with the added burden of European soccer in its second season, Leipzig still clinched sixth place to secure a spot in next season’s Europa League.
Hasenhuettl reportedly met with Leipzig chief executive Oliver Mintzlaff and sporting director Ralf Rangnick for talks on Tuesday, but failed to get the reassurances he wanted.
Rangnick had said on Sunday that Hasenhuettl would still be in charge next season, but the breakdown in trust between the parties now forces the club to look for a new coach.
”In contrast to the winter I’ve now come to the conclusion that one more year would have been enough,” said Rangnick, who had been pushing for Hasenhuettl to extend his deal in December.
Hasenhuettl held off at the time, saying he wanted to concentrate on the season, but clearly wanted to push through with it once the season is over.
”For Ralph there was no alternative to an early contract extension,” Rangnick said. ”It was therefore his express wish to terminate the contract. We’ve fulfilled this wish with a heavy heart.”