Scherzer will cost you in daily fantasy baseball today
Also, please scroll to the bottom of this article to see the latest tweets from Ryan Fowler (@FOXSportsFowler), D.J. Foster (@FOXSportsFoster), Adam Meyer (@FOXSportsMeyer) and me (@jhalpin37). That way, if information surfaces for any last minute changes, you can see our thoughts instantly.
Let's get to today's interesting facts, using DraftKings prices for the 15-game slate. Please note that much of the information in this post is being published several hours prior to game times, so check MLB lineups later to confirm that any recommended players are included.
5 Things to Watch:
1. We've got four heavy SP favorites on the board. Kyle Hendricks ($10,800) is minus-220 over the Pirates; Max Scherzer ($13,600) is minus-216 at Philly; Josh Tomlin ($5,200) is minus-210 vs. Minnesota; and Daniel Norris ($6,600) is minus-205 vs. the White Sox.
2. The highest non-Coors projected run total is 10 for White Sox-Tigers, while the lowest is 6.5 for Diamondbacks-Giants (Zack Greinke-Johnny Cueto).
3. Dodgers SS Corey Seager won't get to enjoy the friendly confines of Coors Field tonight, as he'll sit out after getting hit in the left wrist by a pitch on Monday.
4. Yo, BvPers: Orioles 1B/2B Steve Pearce ($3,700) has four homers in 25 at-bats vs. J.A. Happ ... Matt Carpenter ($5,000) is 18-for-38 with three homers vs. Wily Peralta ... Michael Saunders ($4,400) is 7-for-16 with three homers vs. Ubaldo Jimenez ... Didi Gregorius ($3,800) has a couple of homers in nine at-bats vs. Edinson Volquez.
5. We all know that Mookie Betts and Jose Altuve have been terrific this season, leading MLB hitters with 11 and 10.8 DraftKings points per game, respectively. That's unless we count short-timer rookies Trea Turner (11.6 DK ppg) and Gary Sanchez (13.5 DK ppg). Sanchez is a $4,900 play vs. Volquez tonight, while Turner will cost you $5K vs. Jerad Eickhoff. I've settled on "The Great Sanchbino" as a nickname for Sanchez, since the Sanchize has already been used by QB Mark Sanchez.
Adam Meyer will post his Must-Start of the Day, Deal of the Day, Avoid of the Day, Stack of the Day and more later today!
Josh Donaldson continued to wreck left-handed pitching and Rick Porcello remained unbeaten at home.
Must-Start of the day: An expensive SP
I always recommend paying up for the high-priced pitching options and that certainly rings true tonight. You need to include either Max Scherzer or Johnny Cueto into your DFS lineups for Tuesday. Mad Max has already face Philly three times this season (2-0 with a 2.57 ERA)
Deal of the day: Seth Lugo, NYM
You saw what Rafael Montero did against the Marlins (5 IP, 0 ER, 3 Ks) and we’re hoping Lugo can do the same. At his price tag on DK, Lugo is a solid pairing with an elite option.
Avoid of the day: Justin Smoak, TOR
He is 2-21 (.095) with 11 strikeouts against Ubaldo Jimenez.
Stack of the day: St. Louis Cardinals
At home, Wily Peralta is 4-4 with a 6.10 ERA this season. He’s started in two games against the Cardinals already: 0-2 with a 7.20 ERA. I’d start with Brandon Moss and then sprinkle in a couple more outfielders and cap it off with Matt Carpenter.
Max Scherzer, WAS - Since the All-Star break, Scherzer is 4-1 with a 2.65 ERA. Plus, as I mentioned earlier, he’s already succeeded against the Phillies multiple times this season.
Johnny Cueto, SF - He’s allowed one earned run in each of his last two starts for San Francisco. At home, Cueto has a 2.63 ERA and a 1.04 WHIP. Plus, his over/under is below seven tonight.
Josh Tomlin, CLE - Tomlin has struggled recently, but he’s looking to rebound. The Indians are a strong favorite tonight and Tomlin is 2-0 with a 2.79 ERA in three outings against the Twins in 2016.
Seth Lugo, NYM - “Deal of the day.”
Nick Hundley, COL - He has a .372 wOBA against lefties this season.
Jarrod Saltalamacchia, DET - He has a .220 ISO against righties in 2016.
Carlos Ruiz, LAD - He has a .387 wOBA against lefties this year.
Anthony Rizzo, CHC - He has a .268 ISO against righties this year.
Brandon Moss, STL - He has a .363 ISO against righties this season.
Mike Napoli, CLE - He has a .233 ISO against lefties in 2016.
DJ LeMahieu, COL - He has a .418 wOBA against lefties this season.
Ian Kinsler, DET - He has a .327 wOBA against righties this year.
Jedd Gyorko, STL - He has a .326 ISO against righties in 2016.
Nolan Arenado, COL - He has a .260 ISO against lefties this year.
Kris Bryant, CHC - He has a .264 ISO against righties this season.
Matt Carpenter, STL - He has a .413 wOBA against righties in 2016.
Corey Seager, LAD - He has a .201 ISO against lefties this season.
Greg Garcia, STL - “Stack of the day.”
Carlos Gonzalez, COL - He has a .246 ISO against lefties in 2016.
J.D. Martinez, DET - He has a .392 wOBA against righties this season.
Trayce Thompson, LAD - He has a .203 ISO against lefties this year.
Ryan Raburn, COL - He has a .235 ISO against lefties this season.
Randal Grichuk, STL - He has a .267 ISO against righties in 2016.
Kike Hernandez, LAD - He has a .314 wOBA against southpaws this season.