Chargers plan to 'build around' Mike McCoy, deliver one-year extension

BY Ross Jones • January 8, 2016

The San Diego Chargers were able to look beyond Mike McCoy's 22-26 record over the past three seasons on Friday.

Despite finishing with a 4-12 record in 2015, a franchise worst over the last decade, McCoy was given a one-year extension and some reassurance from his general manager.

"Mike is somebody we want to build around," Tom Telesco said, via the team's Twitter account.

The team announced that McCoy would be brought back for another season earlier this week after it was rumored that he could be one of the many head coaches fired after the season.

Instead, McCoy parted ways with offensive coordinator Frank Reich and another five coaching assistants.

As the team moves forward, Telesco noted he'd like to see the offense move in a different direction on offense and become more balanced. In a year they invested a first-round pick on running back Melvin Gordon, the Chargers finished 31st in the league in rushing.

What's next for McCoy is assembling a staff and deciding if he'll become the offense's playcaller in 2016, something the GM said he "wouldn't be opposed to."

No matter which city the Chargers play in 2016, they're banking on McCoy to be the one to lead them for next season and beyond.

 



share story