Late comeback earns San Jose three

Late comeback earns San Jose three

Published May. 21, 2011 1:00 a.m. ET

Bobby Convey and Ellis McLoughlin scored second-half goals and goalkeeper Jon Busch made them stand up in the San Jose Earthquakes' 2-1 victory over the New England Revolution on Saturday night.

Ellis scored his first goal of the season on a header in the 71st minute, and Convey curled in a free kick to give the Earthquakes (3-4-3) a 2-0 lead in the 84th minute. It also was Convey's first goal of the year.

Chris Tierney scored late in the second half for New England (3-4-4), which also missed a corner kick attempt just before the final whistle. The Revolution have won only once in San Jose since 2000.'

San Jose's second straight win at Buck Shaw Stadium came much like the first, with a late scoring surge in the second half and strong work in the net by Busch.


Busch just missed notching his 56th career shutout when he allowed Tierney's goal in the 86th minute but was otherwise stellar while recording four saves. He made a rolling save on Shalrie Joseph's long try in the first half, then knocked away Benny Feilhaber's shot.

Playing in only his third game of the season for San Jose, McLoughlin took a cross kick pass from forward Chris Wondolowski and headed the ball into the right corner of the net past keeper Matt Reis. McLoughlin's goal was the first allowed by New England in 282 minutes.

Wondolowski just missed adding to the Earthquakes lead when his shot in the 79th minute just missed wide right. Convey then came through for five minutes later and San Jose hung on for the interconference win.

San Jose's offense sputtered much of the first half, managing only two shots against Reis. The Earthquakes also missed a chance when Khari Stephenson's free kick hit the crossbar in the 13th minute.

New England wasn't any better.

The Revolution got only one shot off against Busch, that coming on Joseph's attempt from 25 yards out in the 24th minute. Joseph later left the field briefly after going down early in the second half but returned.

Rajko Lekic, who was questionable for New England with a left knee contusion, also missed a header attempt that went wide late in the first half.