British Open trivia quiz
CARNOUSTIE, Scotland (AP) How well do you know the British Open? Try this quiz:
1. Who won the first British Open?
a.) Old Tom Morris
b.) Willie Park
c.) Harry Vardon
2. Who had the lowest 18-hole score in the British Open?
a.) Rory McIlroy
b.) Branden Grace
c.) Phil Mickelson
3. Paul Lawrie won at Carnoustie in 1999 after Jean Van de Velde made triple bogey on the last hole. Who else was part of the three-man playoff?
a.) Craig Parry
b.) Justin Leonard
c.) Greg Norman
4. Two of the 12 players with three legs of the Grand Slam never won the British Open. One was Raymond Floyd. Who was the other?
a.) Sam Snead
b.) Walter Hagen
c.) Byron Nelson
5. Of the previous six Open champions at Carnoustie, who is the only one to lead going into the final round?
a.) Ben Hogan
b.) Tommy Armour
c.) Gary Player
6. Tom Watson won the claret jug on four of five courses in Scotland currently on the rotation. Where did he not win?
b.) St. Andrews
7. Who holds the record for the lowest 72-hole score at the British Open?
a.) Greg Norman at Royal St. George’s
b.) Nick Price at Turnberry
c.) Henrik Stenson at Royal Troon
8. Who had the worst world ranking of any British Open champion since the ranking began in 1986?
a.) John Daly
b.) Ben Curtis
c.) Darren Clarke
9. Which player won the British Open in his first start at a major championship?
a.) Gene Sarazen
b.) Old Tom Morris
c.) Ben Curtis
10. What trophy was awarded at the first British Open?
a.) A claret jug
b.) A championship belt
c.) A sterling cup
11. Who was the first player to win the U.S. Open and the British Open in the same year?
a.) Bobby Jones
b.) Gene Sarazen
c.) Lee Trevino
12. Who won the first British Open held at Carnoustie?
a.) Henry Cotton
b.) Tommy Armour
c.) Ben Hogan
13. Who holds the record for largest margin of victory at the British Open?
a.) Tiger Woods
b.) Bobby Locke
c.) Old Tom Morris
14. Name the last Scottish-born player to win a British Open in Scotland.
a.) Tommy Armour
b.) Sandy Lyle
c.) Paul Lawrie
15. What has Seve Ballesteros achieved at the British Open that is most likely never to be repeated?
a.) He won the claret jug on a Saturday, a Sunday and a Monday.
b.) He missed every fairway and still broke par.
c.) He made birdie after hitting his tee shot into a parking lot.
16. Name the only player who twice shot all four rounds in the 60s at the British Open without winning.
a.) Jesper Parnevik
b.) Ernie Els
c.) Jack Nicklaus
17. What was unusual about Nick Faldo winning his first British Open at Muirfield in 1987?
a.) He played without a driver in his bag.
b.) He made 18 pars in the final round.
c.) He spoke to his playing partner.
18. The first British Open champion from overseas came from which country?
c.) United States