Trappattoni forgives Henry

BY foxsports • January 23, 2010

Republic of Ireland coach Giovanni Trapattoni has forgiven Thierry Henry for the handball which cost his side a place in the World Cup finals.

The France international's handball in the run-up to William Gallas' decisive goal in November's World Cup play-off qualifier ended the Republic's dreams of qualifying for the finals in South Africa.

FIFA's disciplinary committee ruled this week they had no power to sanction Henry and Trapattoni admits he now has to put the incident behind him.

"The bitterness has passed and what remains is the taste of the good performance and the regret that we didn't end up in South Africa," Trapattoni told the programme 'Dribbling' on Italian television channel Rai Due.

"With the qualifying round we fought we deserved it.

"But I forgive Henry."

Trapattoni also reiterated that he is not set to quit as Republic boss to take charge of the Turkey national team.

Reports continue to circulate that the 70-year-old and his team, who are under contract until 2012, are on the brink of departure.

While Trapattoni admits he has been approached, the Italian has again dismissed suggestion he is to leave his current job anytime soon.

"Many national teams are interested," he said. "They asked us 'what are you doing, what aren't you doing?'

"But for now we're remaining loyal to what we signed.

"But in life I always say never say never."

Trapattoni took over as Ireland boss in May 2008 and signed a new two-year contract in September last year after a hugely encouraging start to his reign.

Under his leadership, the Irish finished second in World Cup qualifying Group Eight behind reigning champions Italy and took France to extra-time in the second leg of the play-off clash in Paris.


share story