Tevez explains City exit request

BY foxsports • December 12, 2010

Carlos Tevez has confirmed he "regrettably" wishes to leave Manchester City, but insists he has "no personal issues" with Roberto Mancini.

Tevez has responded quickly to City's confirmation that they had turned down a transfer request from the Argentinian striker and hinted they would hold him to a contract that is not due to expire until 2014.

However, Tevez's mind is made up, as he outlined in a statement this evening.

"I can confirm I have handed a transfer request to the chairman of Manchester City Football Club," said the 26-year-old.

"Now I need to clear my head and think because this is an important part of my career.

"My feelings have not changed and it is regrettable that we have reached this situation.

"But it is something I have felt for some time and have spent many hours thinking this through."

Tevez revealed that he first asked to leave the Blues this summer but was talked out of taking such drastic action by long-time advisor Kia Joorabchian.

That the controversial Iranian businessman should now be singled out by City for their irritation only threatens to backfire on them, given Tevez is now fuming, his relationship with certain members of the Blues hierarchy now irretrievably damaged.

"I hugely resent the management's suggestions that I have been unduly influenced by others," said Tevez.

"I wanted to leave in the summer, but was convinced to return to the club. Sadly, my feelings have not changed.

"I am disappointed that the management should now see fit to try to portray the situation in another light.

"My relationship with certain executives and individuals at the club has broken down and is now beyond repair.

"I do not wish to expand on this at this stage. They know, because I have told them."

Tevez stressed that he bore no ill-will to manager Roberto Mancini, despite their touchline row during last week's win over Bolton.

He also thanked owner Sheikh Mansour for his understanding.

"I wish to clarify that I have no personal issue with the manager Roberto Mancini," he said.

"The owner has been very generous with what he has offered to me. I would like to thank Sheik Mansour for his understanding and support."

It has also been categorically denied that Tevez is refusing to play for the Blues, even though it is difficult to see how he could be considered for selection, as City claimed in their own statement earlier today.

"Carlos' current five-year contract has three-and-a-half years to run and he is the highest paid player at the Manchester City," said City's statement.

"We can also confirm that the (transfer) request has been rejected but this is both an unfortunate and unwelcome distraction.

"The door remains open for Carlos to be selected to play."

The striker is citing personal anguish at being apart from his two young daughters, who are back home in Argentina, as one of the reasons for his discontent.

However, whilst this situation is accurate, the club feel there are other forces at work, notably Joorabchian, whose once integral position at Eastlands no longer exists.

"The club remains disappointed by this situation and particularly with the actions of Carlos' representative," said the club.

"The written transfer request is in stark contrast to Carlos' stated position in both public and club contexts.

"Significantly, over recent months, the club has also received numerous requests from Carlos' representative to renegotiate and improve his playing contract as well as more recently a request to extend that contract by another year."

Tevez is due back from Tenerife on Tuesday and in theory could play against Juventus on Thursday.

In truth, it is hard to see how he could turn out for a club he has scored 40 goals for in just 60 appearances to become such an integral part of their Premier League title challenge.

Indeed, Tevez, who has spoken of retiring completely, could now find himself in the unique position of being loathed by both sides of Manchester given the manner in which he left United in 2009.

"Since signing for Manchester City, I have enjoyed playing for the supporters." he said.

"They have welcomed me to the club and I regret that it has come to this.

"They deserve success as reward for their passionate and patient support. The club is very fortunate to have supporters like these.

"Anybody who has watched me play for Manchester City cannot question my commitment and passion for the club whenever I have worn the shirt.

"I want to thank the supporters for making me welcome at Manchester City and hope they agree I have given my all for the club on the pitch."


share story