Lambert: 'Necessary decisions' will be made to ensure safe Euro 2016
The head of the organizing committee for Euro 2016 has promised France will take the "necessary decisions" to ensure next summer's tournament takes place in safety.
Jacques Lambert made the pledge in the wake of Friday's terror attacks in Paris, where 129 people were killed and hundreds more injured during a series of incidents across the French capital.
It is the second time this year that Paris has been hit by terrorism after 12 people were killed by gunmen in January, and the attacks raise serious concerns about fans' safety at Euro 2016, which is being held in the country between June 10 and July 10 next year.
However, Lambert has sought to ease fears about security and played down any suggestion of the tournament not going ahead in France.
He told French broadcaster RTL: "To ask questions about the cancellation of Euro 2016 is to play into the hands of the terrorists.
"The risk level was up a notch in January, and it just got up a notch.
"We will take the necessary decisions for Euro 2016 to take place in the best safety conditions. I will not reveal what we are going to do because that would alert our opponents."
He added: "The security in stadiums works well, the risk is more out in the streets, in spontaneous gatherings."
French Football Federation (FFF) president Noel Le Graet had earlier said: "We will do whatever it takes to ensure security despite all the risks that entails. I know everyone is vigilant. Obviously this causes us to be even more vigilant. But it is a permanent situation for the Federation and the state."
Republic of Ireland boss Martin O'Neill has expressed his sorrow over the attacks.
However, the 63-year-old has insisted he has no sense of uneasiness over his side's Euro 2016 play-off second-leg clash with Bosnia-Herzegovina in Dublin on Monday evening after the Stade de France was targeted on Friday.
O'Neill said: "I don't feel uneasy about the game. I think it was horrendous, the events in Paris, it obviously puts a lot of things into perspective including football matches, but no, I didn't think necessarily that was the case.
"Obviously we are hoping that the stadium is well policed and I am hoping we would be okay. But I hadn't thought about that, it was more the thought about the events in Paris itself."
The DFB, German football's governing body, has confirmed that Tuesday's friendly fixture against Holland will also proceed as originally scheduled.
Germany were forced to sleep in the Stade de France after Friday's 2-0 friendly defeat by France, during which the attacks in Paris began, but the DFB are determined to play the fixture at Hannover's HDI-Arena, saying in a statement: "(In a) stance for freedom and one against terror, (Germany) will play."
Dr. Reinhard Rauball, the DFB's vice-president, said: "The message is clear - we will not be intimidated by terror. The fact that the game will go ahead just a few days after the atrocious events from the international in Paris is a necessary step. Head coach Joachim Low and every single player gave their respect for this demonstration of solidarity for the victims and the entire French population."
Team manager Oliver Bierhoff added: "We wanted to set a stance of togetherness as a team. With the French population, with all those connected to the victims. The whole team, players, coaches and backroom staff - it's still affecting them a lot.
"They therefore all know how important it is to take a stance and campaign for our values and cultures as a national team. Under these circumstances, the on-pitch value of the game against the Netherlands is of course lower."
However, the draw for the eighth round of the Coupe de France, which was scheduled to take place at Paris' Vincennes racecourse on Tuesday, has been canceled.
Confirmation of a new date and venue will be made as soon as possible for the draw between the 88 teams due to play on December 5 and 6.