Feyenoord furious with Chelsea

BY foxsports • December 22, 2010

Ake is regarded as an extremely exciting prospect for the future after coming through the youth ranks at Feyenoord and the Blues have moved to bring him in when he turns 16 in February. Having helped to develop Ake since he was 12, Feyenoord are unhappy that they will not be able to secure his services on a professional contract. Reports suggest the Dutch club will only receive around £228,000 in compensation for a player who could be worth millions in just a few years. Beenhakker accepts that it was Ake's wish to move to Stamford Bridge but is disappointed with the way Premier League clubs snap up promising youngsters from abroad. "It's driving me crazy that hot prospects are walking away from us like this," he said in the Daily Express. "What can you do? English clubs are the great white sharks of football. Arsenal, Man United, Chelsea, they're all in the game. "We had a wonderful deal for Nathan, but the lad wanted only one thing: Chelsea. It's game over for us. "Premier League clubs spoil the market with their behaviour. Other clubs in Europe aren't doing these kind of things but the English sides just don't care. "I've discussed this matter with Nathan and his parents. He told me that he really wanted to move to England and his parents were OK with his decision. "I was impressed with Nathan's determination at such a young age but it's bad news for Feyenoord; we can't do anything about it if a foreign club comes up to sign one of our youngsters." Chelsea have responded by saying they worked closely with Feyenoord throughout negotiations, insisting their dealings with the club were above board. A spokesman said: "We have kept Feyenoord abreast of our interest and as such we have reached an agreement with them." Chelsea have caused controversy in the past with their transfer policy, particularly the signing of Gael Kakuta from Lens in 2007. FIFA initially imposed a transfer ban on the Blues over the move, ruling that the club had been guilty of inducing Kakuta, then 16, to break a contract with Lens. This ban was lifted on appeal by the Court of Arbitration for Sport after it emerged Kakuta's contract was not valid. Feyenoord have now called on Fifa to act to make it harder for big clubs to prise young players away from smaller clubs. A Feyenoord spokesman said: "You have to wonder whether this is in the interest of football. "As a club, it is difficult to act individually. That lies with Fifa or Uefa. But that is a discussion to be had - that is clear."


share story