EPL quartet crash out of Carling Cup

EPL quartet crash out of Carling Cup

Published Aug. 24, 2011 1:00 a.m. ET

Norwich suffered a 4-0 home defeat at the hands of League One leader MK Dons as the three newly-promoted Premier League clubs exited the Carling Cup at the second-round stage.

Sunderland is also out after losing 1-0 to Brighton after extra-time.

Paul Lambert's decision to change all 11 of his Norwich starting line-up backfired in spectacular fashion at Carrow Road.

Luke Chadwick and Sam Baldock had put the visitor in a commanding position at half-time.


Chadwick's second, on the hour mark, was the pick of the goals, capping a fine passing move, and Daniel Powell added to Norwich's woes seven minutes later with the fourth.

The Dons finished with 10 men as Angelo Balanta, a second-half substitute, limped off inside the last 10 minutes with all three changes already made.

Swansea and QPR also tasted defeat with the Swans losing 3-1 at Shrewsbury while the R's lost 2-0 at home to Rochdale.

Swansea had led 10 minutes in through an unfortunate own goal from Shane Cansdell-Sherriff, but Marvin Morgan, hero of the Shrews' victory over Derby in the first round, levelled midway through the first half as he turned home Lionel Ainsworth's cross-shot.

Mark Wright struck in the 67th minute, finishing after great work from Terry Gornell, and Nicky Wroe secured the win in the final stages.

Rochdale's Jean-Louis Akpa Akpro turned home a rebound after five minutes at QPR and Gary Jones made it 2-0 with nine minutes to go with a superb shot into the top left-hand corner.

Sunderland became the fourth Premier League side to crash out by losing 1-0 to Brighton in extra-time, with Craig Mackail-Smith heading in the winner in the 96th minute.

Aston Villa struggled for 80 minutes against Hereford but Eric Lichaj eventually turned in a scrappy goal and Nathan Delfouneso added a second two minutes from time to make sure.

West Brom had an easier time in dispatching Bournemouth 4-1 at Dean Court.

Jerome Thomas scored an early goal for the Baggies and Marc-Antoine Fortune doubled the advantage by half-time.

Steve Lovell turned in Scott Malone's cross to get Bournemouth back in it early in the second half, but Simon Cox soon replied for West Brom and Fortune's 78th-minute strike settled it.

Wolves cruised to a 4-0 win over Northampton with Nenad Milijas and Sam Vokes adding to a brace from Sylvan Ebanks-Blake.

Sven-Goran Eriksson's Leicester had to come from behind to see off Bury 4-2 at Gigg Lane.

Jeffery Schlupp's superb opener put the Foxes in front, but Bury stunned the visitors as Andrai Jones and Ryan Lowe scored either side of half-time to turn it around.

But Paul Gallagher levelled with a free-kick before Lloyd Dyer put Leicester in front and Neil Danns made sure late on.

Ramon Nunez scored a brace - the second a fine strike to break a 1-1 tie with seven minutes to go - as Leeds beat Yorkshire rival Doncaster 2-1 at the Keepmoat Stadium.

Nunez's first came after half an hour to cancel out James Hayter's early opener.

Nottingham Forest cruised to a 4-1 win at Wycombe on the back of goals in the first six minutes from Ishmael Miller and Lewis McGugan.

Robbie Findley and Radoslaw Majewski also scored either side of an Elliott Benyon penalty for the hosts.

Millwall beat Morecambe 2-0 with goals from Hamer Bouazza and Tamika Mkandawire.

Cardiff defeated Huddersfield in a 5-3 thriller in south Wales with extra-time goals from Craig Conway and Don Cowie bagging the win.

Huddersfield had fought back from 2-0 down and looked like winning it when Jordan Rhodes scored two minutes from the end of normal time, only for Cowie to level in the 90th minute.

Burnley eventually saw off Barnet 3-2 thanks to Chris McCann's 105th-minute goal.

Barnet had forced extra time when Ricky Holmes' 90th-minute goal made it 2-2.

In rearranged first-round fixtures, Wilfried Zaha's brace took Crystal Palace past Crawley 2-0 while Charlton saw off Reading 2-1 with goals from Paul Benson and Jason Euell.

Sean Morrison was on target for Reading.

Bristol Rovers beat Watford 4-2 on penalties.

Mustapha Carayol scored the winning kick after Carl Dickinson and John Eustace missed for the visitors.

The match had finished 1-1 after extra-time, with both goals coming in the opening five minutes as Marvin Sordell scored for Watford two minutes in before Matt Harrold's quick reply for the hosts.