Dummett keen on Saints return
Inter Milan president Massimo Moratti has confirmed the club will try to strengthen during this month's transfer window.
Inter missed the chance to close the gap on Serie A leaders Juventus, who lost at Sampdoria, as a first team decimated by injuries and suspensions went down 3-0 at the Stadio Friuli.
Both Moratti and head coach Andrea Stramaccioni had previously urged caution over excessive spending in the transfer window, with the club eager to offload high earners including Wesley Sneijder before bringing in expensive talent.
But following yesterday's events in Udine, and considering the continued absence of nine injured first-team players, Moratti held an emergency meeting at the club's head offices in which he conceded modest reinforcements would be targeted.
He told inter.it: "I can confirm that it will essentially be like that, where the names being discussed are good players.
"But it is also a window where - just like at other clubs - we certainly don't intend to spend too much.
"Listen, I think it's very important to weigh things up when we have everyone back fit because at the moment we're talking about new signings without considering that we might end up buying a player similar to one we already have.
"The most important thing is to get our players on the sidelines back fit. It's hard to assess things when we have 10 or 12 players missing through injury and suspension.
Inter are now nine points shy of Juventus having run the Italian champions close for much of the autumn, but only four points separate the chasing pack after a weekend of shock results.
"The fact the sides around us have dropped points means we're still in there, but we must not worry too much about that, we need to look at ourselves," he added.
"Perhaps I wasn't expecting to top the league but there was always the potential to do well, along with the belief of the players.
"We've got a good team though and, as I've said, it's crucial to get back players who we identified as important at the start of the season."
Inter have already signed veteran striker Tommaso Rocchi for an undisclosed fee, while reports in Italy have linked the club with a move for Chievo goalkeeper Stefano Sorrentino.
The 21-year-old spent the first half of the campaign on loan with the Buddies but returned to his parent club last week ahead of their FA Cup third-round clash with Brighton.
While the Premier League side slid to a surprise 2-0 defeat against Gus Poyet's Championship outfit, Dummett fulfilled his boyhood ambition by making his first-team bow when St James' Park boss Alan Pardew introduced him a as a half-time substitute.
But the young defender believes he will improve further if he returns to Paisley for a second loan stint.
He now hopes to once more swap the black and white stripes of Newcastle for those of the Saints and is praying the deal is completed before Danny Lennon's men face Celtic in the Scottish Communities League Cup semi-final on January 27.
Dummett said: "I loved my time at St Mirren. For a Newcastle lad playing for the club, it's not easy moving away but St Mirren was the right choice.
"I played 19 games and picked up some really good experience of playing at a competitive level. I played in front of some big crowds like 40,000 at Celtic Park. There's no doubt that has helped my development as a player.
"I have definitely come back to Newcastle a better player.
"Danny Lennon is a really good manager and I can't fault a single thing about the club. It was his help that allowed me to make my debut for Newcastle.
"But I'm hopeful that I will come back to Saints for another six months. I've improved so much with them this season and I want to continue that development before going back to Newcastle a much better player in the summer.
"It's not in my hands but, if both sides can make it work, returning before the semi-final with Celtic is the plan."
Dummett replaced James Perch for the second half of Saturday's match at the Falmer Stadium but insists that even the pain of the cup upset could not take the shine off his big moment.
He said: "I was very proud. I'm a local boy and all local boys in Newcastle dream of playing for the club.
"It was a poor result for the team but inside I was buzzing for myself. It was a dream come true."
Dummett was the first player to benefit from a newly-struck affiliation deal between Newcastle and St Mirren that will see the best of Pardew's young talent head north in order to gain top-team knowledge.
Best pal and fellow Geordie recruit Conor Newton has also followed the road north and another Magpies teenager could soon join him.
Now Dummett has encouraged any youngsters offered the chance of a switch to Scotland to grab it with both hands.
He said: "There was guys from Newcastle coming to watch me and I also went back down a couple of times and spoke to the manager down there.
"He had been getting reports on me and was pleased with my progress. That was great to hear and he obviously meant it as he put me straight in the squad when I got back and then gave me the second half against Brighton.
"A lot of people see the SPL as a Mickey Mouse league but that's not how I view it. There are a lot of good players up here and a lot of good players at St Mirren.
"Conor Newton is already up here and if any other Newcastle lads were thinking about joining St Mirren on loan I'd definitely recommend it. The SPL doesn't get the credit it deserves."