Del Neri set for Juve exit

BY foxsports • May 22, 2011

Luigi Del Neri has been informed by Juventus that Sunday's final game of the season against Napoli will be his last in charge of the club.

Del Neri was only appointed last summer as the Bianconeri looked to bounce back from a disappointing 2009/10 campaign.

However, Juve have endured another frustrating season under Del Neri and look set to miss out on European qualification.

They need to beat Napoli and hope Roma lose to Sampdoria on Sunday to finish sixth and secure the final Europa League place.

Speculation over Del Neri's future has been building for the past couple of months and club president Andrea Agnelli declared earlier this week that he was unhappy with results.

Del Neri has now confirmed that the clash with Napoli will be his final game at the helm after being told by Juve that his contract would be terminated with one year still remaining.

"There will be a new coach at Juventus next season," Del Neri told reporters.

"The club informed me of its decision on Wednesday. I accept this choice, even if I'd do everything again.

"Juve did not have the time to wait for change and gradual improvement. As for me, if a door closes behind me then another can open up. I was proud to be given the Juventus job initially, which is why I gave up on the Champions League with Sampdoria.

"I was happy with the arrival of Fabio Quagliarella and Alberto Aquilani, the maturation of Paolo De Ceglie and Vincenzo Iaquinta's form. Then the collapse in January changed the season. Injuries affected everything.

"The club asked me to get the best results we could and I told them the Scudetto was a big ask, especially after so many changes. I did understand that a club like Juve must always push to win."

A number of names had already been linked with the position before Del Neri's departure was confirmed and Juve's focus will now switch to bringing in a replacement.

Roberto Mancini has insisted that he has not received an approach and wants to remain at Manchester City, leaving Antonio Conte as the early favourite to succeed Del Neri.

A former Juventus midfielder, Conte has this season guided Siena to promotion from Serie B.

Siena have also made it clear they will not stand in Conte's way if Juve do come calling.


share story