'Crazy' goal stuns Commons

March 19, 2013

Kris Commons has spoken about his "crazy" record-breaking goal which began Celtic's SPL win over Aberdeen at Parkhead.

There were only 12.2 seconds on the clock when the Hoops midfielder fired the home side ahead to break the record of fastest SPL goal.

Ironically, the record was previously held by Anthony Stokes who set up the Scotland midfielder for his opener in what turned out to be an exciting 4-3 victory for the champions.

Commons was 0.2 seconds quicker than the Irishman who set the record during his time at Hibernian.


"It was crazy," said Commons, speaking to Celtic's official website. "First of all, Mikael (Lustig) played it up front, Hoops (Gary Hooper) got a flick on, I found myself in space on the edge of the box and Stokesey played a great ball through to me.

"I took one touch and smashed it in. It was one of those crazy things that usually never happen.

"I don't think half the fans were even in the stands yet. The manager wasn't even in the dugout so it was a bit of whirlwind.

"Aberdeen hadn't touched the ball yet but we play that way from kick-off, we go forward and try and put them under pressure in the opening couple of minutes.

"But for it all to fall into play and for me to have a shot on the edge of the 18-yard box was crazy luck.

"It beat Stokesey's record. He was telling me afterwards that he was sure I'd beat him so I think he's a little bit wounded now."

Aside from his goal, Commons had a huge influence on Celtic fighting back from 3-1 down to clinch the points.

The former Derby and Nottingham Forest midfielder's free-kick inside the 94th minute was met by Lassad Nouiou at the back post and his header set up Georgios Samaras to send an overhead kick past Dons keeper Jamie Langfield.

It was a moment Commons will remember for a long time, saying: "It's been a long time coming, that sort of response. There was a really good work ethic and real desire to win the game, and getting three late goals showed that.

"Looking back on it, if we had managed to get the draw we would have taken it but there was a feeling in the air that if we had the chance we would get that fourth goal.

"Going into injury-time we were getting everyone forward and big Sami duly obliged. Lassad rose well at the back post to keep the ball in play and Sami did the rest. The keeper might have got a hand to it but it was a bit too far out of his reach so he couldn't push it wide.

"It was just one of those games where there was a feeling we were going to get the winner.

"It was a fantastic feeling and one I've not felt in a long time. It sets us up nicely for the next couple of games now where we will hopefully go on and win the league."