Crawley put back Spencer move

BY foxsports • January 16, 2013

Tottenham midfielder Sandro has undergone a knee operation.

The Brazil international was injured during the first half of Spurs' weekend draw at QPR.

And a short statement on the club's website confirmed surgery was required to repair an unspecified problem.

It read: "Sandro has undergone knee surgery following the injury that forced his substitution against QPR at the weekend. The midfielder's recovery schedule will be assessed over the next few days."

Sandro later wrote on his Twitter page: "My surgery went well, now its moving forwards with treatment and rest. Many thanks to everyone for their support - I'll be fine to fight again."

Andre Villas-Boas suggested in the immediate aftermath of Saturday's game that Sandro's injury was not serious.

He said at the time: "He should be okay for the Manchester United game next week. It's just a knock on the knee."

The Huddersfield striker agreed a three-month loan deal last week, but the Reds will wait a further seven days so he will be eligible for the rest of the campaign.

Spencer will therefore miss the game against Carlisle on Saturday but should be available for the trip to Sheffield United on January 26 if the 21-year-old overcomes his current knee injury.

Boss Richie Barker told the Crawley Observer: "We've put it back a week so that it ends on the final day of the season.

"We wouldn't half have egg on our faces if we find he has a lot of goals and we get to the last day of the season needing something and he's not available."

Barker also confirmed he has fielded "an enquiry" about striker John Akinde, currently out of favour at Broadfield after making just 10 appearances this term.


share story