Chievo secures first away win of season

BY foxsports • November 20, 2011

Sergio Pellissier fired Chievo to their first win on the road this season with a 2-1 victory at Catania on Sunday.

Pellissier earned and converted a penalty on the stroke of half-time, before setting up Paolo Sammarco to double Chievo's lead in the 73rd minute.

Catania had previously missed a great chance to equalise after Francesco Lodi's spot-kick was saved by Chievo goalkeeper Stefano Sorrentino.

The hosts reduced the deficit with 12 minutes remaining thanks to Sergio Almiron's strike from long range but could not find the net again.

The result marked Catania's first loss at the Angelo Massimino stadium since April and saw the Sicilians drop to 12th in the standings, one point behind Chievo.

The hosts started brightly and created the game's first chance in the ninth minute when Almiron's header from a Giovanni Marchese cross went over the bar.

Catania continued to press forward and were unlucky not to go in front in the 36th minute. Gonzalo Bergessio struck the far post after Chievo had failed to clear the ball in the area.

The visitors replied shortly after with Davide Mandelli's close-range header going just wide of the far post.

And they went ahead just before the break. Nicolas Spolli was adjudged to have fouled Pellissier in the penalty area and the Italian forward coolly struck past Catania goalkeeper Mariano Andujar into the bottom right corner.

Catania showed more determination after the restart and almost levelled the scores in the 68th minute.

The referee pointed to the penalty spot after Davide Mandelli brought down substitute Maxi Lopez, but Sorrentino guessed correctly and dived to the right to clear Lodi's left-footed spot-kick.

Chievo did not waste the opportunity to extend their advantage. A defensive mistake by Catania saw Pellissier cross to an unmarked Sammarco, who tapped the ball into the open net.

Catania gave themselves a fighting chance when Almiron's right-footed strike from 30 yards stunned Sorrentino, but were unable to find an equaliser over the final 12 minutes.