Cherries sign up Painter

BY foxsports • February 16, 2013

Didier Drogba wasted no time announcing his arrival in Turkish football as he struck the opening goal in Galatasaray's 2-1 win at Akhisar Belediye on Friday.

The former Marseille and Chelsea striker, who joined Gala this month following an ill-fated spell at Shanghai Shenhua, came on for his debut as a 63rd-minute substitute and needed just five minutes to break the deadlock with a well-placed header.

Two minutes later Drogba was involved again as his shot was saved but Burak Yilmaz followed up to make it 2-0 to Galatasaray, who also included Holland star Wesley Sneijder in their line-up following his January arrival.

Sertan Vardar pulled a goal back for bottom side Akhisar in the 85th minute but Galatasaray held on for their 12th win of the campaign.

The arrival of Drogba and Sneijder has rightly been viewed as a formidable statement of intent by Galatasaray, who have gone from strength to strength since winning the league title last season.

Tonight's win gives the Istanbul club an eight-point lead over Besiktas at the Super Lig summit ahead of the remaining weekend fixtures.

The Tottenham defender instead received a warning and agreed to do one day's community service.

Blackpool winger Tom Ince's appeal against a one-match ban imposed after the same match, the controversial play-off against Serbia in October, was not been successful, however.

UEFA also increased the sanction against Serbia for racist abuse by fans with its under-21 side now having to play two competitive matches behind closed doors rather than one.

Ince and Caulker were initially banned for incidents that took place at the end of a fiery play-off second leg in Krusevac on October 16 which led to match hosts Serbia being punished for racist abuse and violent behaviour.

UEFA appealed against the disciplinary panel's initial decision, arguing there should be tougher sanctions against both the England players, and against the Serbian FA, its players and officials.

Any lengthy ban would have affected the England players' participation in this summer's European Championships in Israel.

The Football Association had backed the players to the hilt - Ince and Caulker flew to Switzerland to make personal appearances at the appeal hearing at UEFA's headquarters in Nyon, on the shores of Lake Geneva, today.

They were accompanied by England Under-21 manager Stuart Pearce and two FA legal representatives, one of whom is a Swiss lawyer.

UEFA was partially successful in its appeals in relation to Serbia - fitness coach Andreja Milutinovic was banned for two years instead of one, and player Nikola Ninkovic for three matches instead of two.

UEFA said in a statement: "The Serbian U-21 team is ordered to play its next two home UEFA competition matches behind closed doors."

It added: "The player Steven Caulker is issued with warning in respect of his future conduct and the player undertakes to perform one full day of community football service according to the instructions to be given by UEFA disciplinary services.

"The other decisions taken by the control and disciplinary body on December 13 2012 are confirmed."

The 26-year-old, who is comfortable in the middle or on the left of a back four, could make his debut when the Cherries face Preston on Saturday, subject to Football League clearance.

Painter has made just three appearances for the Seagulls this year and manager Gus Poyet believes that is a result of Wayne Bridge's form.

Poyet told the club's official website: "Marcos is always a great professional to have around the club but he has not had a lot of chances to play this season because of the form and quality of Wayne Bridge.

"It's important for Marcos to be playing regular football so it was a good decision for him to move to Bournemouth on loan, where he can help them push for promotion out of League One.

"We hope that he has a successful remainder of the season."

Meanwhile, goalkeeper Benjamin Buchel has signed a contract extension at Dean Court until the end of the season.

The 23-year-old signed a six-month deal under then-boss Paul Groves and will now join non-league outfit Dorchester on loan for one month.

share story