Cardiff sign Bees keeper Moore

BY foxsports • July 29, 2013

Barcelona goalkeeper Victor Valdes says the main message he and his team-mates have received from new coach Gerardo Martino is that they must retain their hunger for winning trophies.

The Argentinian coach met his new squad and coaching staff for the first time on Saturday morning before watching them trounce Norwegian side Valerenga 7-0 in Oslo.

Martino takes over a side that in the past five years has won four Primera Division titles, two Champions League trophies and the Copa del Rey twice.

But speaking during a promotional day in Barcelona, Valdes revealed that the new boss has urged his players to keep on striving for even more success.

"He told us that we cannot lose our desire to win," he said. "We were only able to speak for a little bit, but we could see he was very excited, this is a huge project.

"He'll want to make his own mark on the team and show his personality. He seems like a coach who is very close to his players.

"Above all, he asked us to keep on winning. Little by little we will start to see what his style is."

Martino is the sixth coach Valdes has worked with in his 11-year career with the Catalan side, and he insisted the team will treat their new boss like any other.

"The squad has always adapted to every coach we have had, " he added.

"We are a team of very good sportsmen and very good people and we will carry out the orders he gives us, as we have done with every other coach.

"He has told us that he will also try and adapt to the team so he doesn't change the dynamics too much. I think he is a very positive appointment."

Valdes, whose contract with Barcelona expires next June, confirmed he would leave the club at the end of the 2013-14 campaign, stressing that "it will be a very special season".

The former Southampton youth-team prospect, 23, joined the Bees in 2009 and went on to make more than 60 appearances for the London club, prompting an approach from the Bluebirds.

"We would have loved to have kept him but we wish him all the luck in the world," Rosler told the club's official website.

"He has the capability to step up to that level, he has a lot to learn but with Cardiff manager Malky Mackay and his coaching team, he is in good hands.

"We have all our young players on long-term contracts and if clubs come in for them, they have to pay.

"He had a good season last year and like Tom Adeyemi, who joined Birmingham City, he deserved the move upwards."

Moore moves to City for an undisclosed transfer fee while Brentford sporting director Mark Warburton has given Rosler the green light to find a suitable replacement.

City manager Malky Mackay had previously confirmed a deal had been agreed with the Bees, with the 23-year-old becoming a Bluebird on Monday after the necessary paperwork was completed.

Moore told Cardiff City Player: "I'm delighted to be at Cardiff City - to play in the Premier League has always been my goal.

"It's exciting to think that I'll be working with quality goalkeepers like David Marshall and Joe Lewis on a daily basis and I know that I can develop and learn from them."

Moore is set to be quickly reunited with his former team-mates as Cardiff travel to face Brentford in a pre-season friendly on Tuesday night.

Moore started his career in the Southampton academy and had a spell with Farnborough Town before joining Brentford in 2009. He kept 13 clean sheets in 52 appearances last term.

Mackay said: "We have been watching Simon for a year or so - he is a real up-and-coming goalkeeper.

"My thanks go to Brentford for the way they went about their business and we are delighted to get Simon in for the start of our season.

"He is one for the future and we have three quality senior goalkeepers in our squad.''

Moore becomes Cardiff's third summer acquisition as the club prepare for their maiden Premier League season, striker Andreas Cornelius and defender John Brayford having already arrived at Cardiff City Stadium.

The Welsh club have also had an offer of around £9.5million accepted for Toulouse's French international midfielder Etienne Capoue, and are hoping to convince the 25-year-old his future lies in south Wales, despite reports he is keen on a move to Spain.

Cardiff have also announced that director Mehmet Dalman has taken over as the club's chairman with immediate effect.

Investment banker Dalman takes over from Simon Lim, who had been acting chairman following Dato Chan Tien Ghee's decision to step down in March.

Lim will continue as the Bluebirds' chief executive.

Cypriot Dalman, who has previously worked with Deutsche Bank and Credit Suisse, told the club's official website: ''I am honoured to take up the role of club chairman at Cardiff City Football Club.

''I have enjoyed my time at the club since joining the board of directors in January 2012 and now relish the opportunity to contribute further in my additional role as chairman with Cardiff City in the Barclays Premier League.''


share story