David Beckham has been warned by Harry Redknapp not to expect an easy path into the Tottenham team once he completes his loan move to the club.
Despite there still being several obstacles to overcome, Beckham could be in the stands when Spurs take on Charlton in the FA Cup on Sunday.
Tottenham were knocked out of the competition at the semi-final stage last year after a shock defeat against former club Portsmouth and Redknapp is looking to go better this time around.
"We want to try to get to the final. It would be nice if we can," he said.
"We're in every competition and we'll try to do our best in the every competition."
Beckham's potential arrival has drawn denunciation from some quarters, with some critics suggesting that the midfielder will not be able to cope with the pace of English football at the age of 35.
Redknapp already is blessed with a number of right-sided midfielders like Aaron Lennon and Luka Modric and insists Beckham will not walk straight into the team.
"He knows the pressure he will be under," Redknapp said.
"I'm sure he realises people will be looking at him. He doesn't expect to play all the time. He knows he's got to come and get in the team.
"It's going to be hard to shift Aaron Lennon out, but he can give me something else. If I decide to go with five in midfield he could come and tuck inside one.
"He can get hold of the ball, keep the ball for you when you're under pressure. He can play. I think he'll be a good influence on the other lads."
Robbie Keane was another player in talks about his future on Friday, with Birmingham hoping to sign the striker after completing a loan deal for his Spurs team-mate David Bentley. West Ham are also understood to be interested in the Republic of Ireland international.
Redknapp insists that he will not necessarily look for a replacement for the 30-year-old if he leaves and denied suggestions he has already bid for Ajax striker Luis Suarez.
"He (Suarez) is a good player but we haven't made any offers for him," Redknapp said.
Charlton head to White Hart Lane under the temporary charge of Keith Peacock after Phil Parkinson was sacked as Addicks boss on Tuesday.
With 23 managers leaving their post this year, and a number of high-profile bosses thought to be under pressure, Redknapp admits the pressure in the modern game for bosses is huge and joked that he feared for his job after Spurs' long unbeaten run came to an end with a 2-1 defeat to Everton on Wednesday.
He said: "It's unbelievable. I sort of feel it myself having lost our first game out of 12, I am under severe pressure now!
"This is how it works. You just can't afford to lose a game because you are going to be under the cosh and that's how it seems to be."
Benoit Assou-Ekotto is one of a number of first-team regulars, including the likes of Luka Modric and Gareth Bale, who will be rested for Sunday's match.
The left-back came in for strong criticism for his performance in Wednesday's defeat but Redknapp has full confidence in the 26-year-old and insists he will not replace him in the January transfer window.
"He's probably the best left-back in the Premier League, next to Ashley Cole," Redknapp said.
"He has been fantastic. He is a top player."