Arsenal 2-0 Manchester City

BY foxsports • April 4, 2009

Two goals from Emmanuel Adebayor secured a comfortable 2-0 victory for Arsenal over Manchester City at the Emirates Stadium.

Captain Cesc Fabregas marked his comeback from three months out with a knee injury in some style to set up a goal for Adebayor in each half.

With Adebayor also now firing on all cylinders following his eight-week spell out of action because of a hamstring problem, Arsene Wenger's squad could just be set for a vintage end to what has been a testing season as they prepare for a Champions League quarter-final and an FA Cup semi-final against Chelsea at Wembley.

The Gunners came into the game on an unbeaten league run of 16 matches which had taken them back into the top four while City had secured just one away win this season, but they were the last team to beat Wenger's men back in late November.

Nigel de Jong tested Arsenal goalkeeper Manuel Almunia with a low drive from 20 yards.

Arsenal, though, went ahead on seven minutes after they were awarded a free-kick on the right when Robinho bundled over Bacary Sagna.

Fabregas' delivery to the penalty spot was inch-perfect for Adebayor, who powered a header back into the bottom corner for his 13th goal of the season.

Arsenal - without leading scorer Robin van Persie because of a groin injury suffered during the international break - continued to press.

Fabregas ran to the near post and his cross was cut out by City captain Richard Dunne.

The visitors were forced into a change on 17 minutes when full-back Wayne Bridge - just back from a hamstring injury - limped off, to be replaced by Gelson Fernandes.

Arsenal continued to dominate and force City back into their own half.

Defender Kolo Toure charged into the right side of the area, and forced a save from Shay Given at his near post.

City broke away in the 27th minute through Shaun Wright-Phillips.

His run and pass played in Micah Richards, who had charged up field before driving in a low, angled shot which was kept out by the legs of Almunia.

It should then have been 1-1 when Wright-Phillips slipped in Fernandes, who was unmarked on the penalty spot.

However, his shot on the turn struck the outside of the post when it really should have nestled in the back of the net.

Almunia was out quickly to grab the ball at the feet of Bellamy as the Wales striker dashed into the Arsenal penalty area.

In stoppage-time, Andrey Arshavin played a lovely one-two with Alex Song on the edge of the City box, and his curling shot was pushed away by Given.

Adebayor made it 2-0 at the start of the second half.

Again Fabregas was the provider, this time sending a superbly weighted, angled chip over Dunne into City's penalty area on 49 minutes.

The 6ft 3ins striker gratefully received the ball once more, drawing Given before rolling it into the net.

Song headed over from a corner before Denilson drilled a 25-yard shot wide as Arsenal threatened to run riot.

City, though, refused to lay down.

Pablo Zabaleta checked Almunia was still awake with a 20-yard drive, which the Spanish goalkeeper palmed down.

Arsenal were soon back on the offensive, as William Gallas blasted a shot across goal after being picked out by a deep ball into the City area.

Dunne cleared off the line after Theo Walcott had nipped in down the right and drew the goalkeeper.

Perhaps with one eye on next week's Champions League quarter-final first leg away to Villarreal in mind, Wenger made a change on 70 minutes as Nicklas Bendtner replaced Adebayor and Emmanuel Eboue came on for Walcott.

Fabregas was given a well-deserved rest when he was replaced by Aaron Ramsey - leaving the field to a standing ovation.

share story