Fantasy: Top waiver-wire pitcher for April 25
Mixed-league roto owners, looking for a waiver-wire pitcher before Thursday's healthy slate of games?
Here's my free-agent choice (citing most 12-team leagues) for one day of fantasy stardom:
Jorge De La Rosa (@ Diamondbacks)
1. For the season, De La Rosa has rock-solid numbers of 2-1, 2.82 ERA, 1.03 WHIP and 17 strikeouts.
2. De La Rosa has not surrendered a run in his last two starts — both victories.
3. In five career outings at Arizona's Chase Field, De La Rosa has a 3.86 ERA.
4. The Rockies have scored the most runs of any National League team to date, at 5.5 per game. When De La Rosa gets run support of 6.0 or higher, he has a lifetime mark of 29-4.
The Next Five For Thursday
1. Edwin Jackson (Cubs) @ Marlins — Of his four outings to date, Jackson has either allowed one run or registered five-plus strikeouts each time. Plus, he draws Miami for Thursday's start.
2. Hyun-Jin Ryu (Dodgers) @ Mets — Of his four starts, Ryu is 4-for-4 in notching five strikeouts or more ... and 3-for-4 in allowing three runs or less.
3. Garrett Richards (Angels) @ Mariners — For what it's worth, Richards — an injury fill-in for Jered Weaver — has blanked the opposition in four of his six appearances this season.
4. James McDonald (Pirates) @ Phillies — The streaky McDonald fanned nine Atlanta hitters just five days ago. Plus, Philly is averaging only 3.45 runs per game.
5. Vance Worley (Twins) vs. Rangers — Minnesota's de facto ace has the capacity for eight or nine strikeouts every time he takes the hill. That's something.
Jay Clemons can be reached on Twitter, day or night, at @FOX_JayClemons.