UPDATE: Lucas di Grassi has been disqualified from the Berlin ePrix for illegal modifications. Jerome d'Ambrosio has been awarded the race win.
It is easy to forget that, up to this point, Lucas di Grassi’s only win in Formula E had been one gifted to him at the season opener in Beijing.
However, the points leader proved why he is in the position he’s in with a dominant victory on Saturday at the Berlin Tempelhof Airport in Berlin.
Jarno Trulli led the field off at the start of the 33-lap contest after securing a surprise pole position in qualifying. However, Di Grassi had taken the lead from the Italian before the first lap was through, with Trulli going from one end to the other, becoming the only driver to not finish the race when his car ran out of power on the final lap.
Joining Di Grassi on the podium were Jerome d’Ambrosio and Sebastien Buemi, the former having worked his way up into second from sixth on the grid, while Buemi continued his championship chase of di Grassi with just three races left to go in the season.
With his win, Di Grassi joined Buemi as the only two-time winner in the FIA Formula E series to date. Nelson Piquet Jr. was second in the points entering the race, but could only manage a fifth place finish after starting 13th on the grid.
A re-air of the race will be shown at 10 a.m. ET Sunday on FOX Sports 1.
Race results (updated):
DQ. Lucas di Grassi (Audi Sport ABT)
1. Jerome d’Ambrosio (Dragon Racing)
2. Sebastien Buemi (e.dams Renault)
3. Loic Duval (Dragon Racing)
4. Nelson Piquet Jr. (NEXTEV TCR)
5. Nick Heidfeld (Venturi)
6. Stephane Sarrazin (Venturi)
7. Jean-Eric Vergne (Andretti)
8. Sam Bird (Virgin Racing)
9. Vitantonio Liuzzi (Trulli)
10. Nico Prost (e.dams Renault)
11. Antonio Felix da Costa (Amlin Aguri)
12. Jaime Alguersuari (Virgin Racing)
13. Scott Speed (Andretti)
14. Daniel Abt (Audi Sport ABT)
15. Charles Pic (NEXTEV TCR)
16. Salvador Duran (Amlin Aguri)
17. Bruno Senna (Mahindra Racing)
18. Karun Chandhok (Mahindra Racing)*
19. Jarno Trulli (Trulli)
*Dropped three spots post-race after receiving a 28-second penalty for exceeding maximum power usage.