No. 6 Kansas St. 83, Texas Tech 64

BY foxsports • February 24, 2010

Jacob Pullen scored 21 of his 28 points in the first half to lead No. 5 Kansas State to an 83-64 victory over Texas Tech on Tuesday night, the Wildcats' sixth straight win.

Kansas State (23-4, 10-3) remained alive for a possible tie for the Big 12 championship with No. 1 Kansas.

John Roberson scored 15 points for Texas Tech (16-11, 4-9), which lost its fourth straight, three of them to Top 25 teams in the past week.

Kansas trailed only at the game's outset and held off brief spurts by Texas Tech late in the first half.

Three other Wildcats scored in double figures, including Jamar Samuels who also had 11 rebounds.

Denis Clemente scored 14 points for the Wildcats, ending a run that had seen score at least 21 points in four of the last five games.

Kansas State, which won in Lubbock for the first time since 1986, could still share the Big 12 title with the Jayhawks. Kansas would have to lose its three remaining games and the Wildcats would have to win their final three. They play March 3 at Kansas.

Texas Tech shot poorly throughout, hitting on just 37.5 percent of their 56 field goal attempts. The Wildcats hit on 47.5 percent of their 59 attempts.

Pullen finished 9 of 14 from the field and had three 3-pointers. He had five assists and three steals.

Roberson and Nick Okorie both got their fourth foul with more than 11 minutes remaining and the Wildcats took advantage. Kansas State went up 57-42 with just over 10 minutes remaining after scoring on five straight possessions, which included making 6 of 7 free throws.

The Wildcats missed only six of 26 free throws attempts and finished 7 of 19 from beyond the arc.

Darko Cohadarevic's putback pulled Texas Tech within 67-58 with 6 minutes remaining but Clemente answered with two 3s in the next minute to put the Wildcats up 75-59 with 4:06 remaining.

Before 5 minutes had elapsed Clementa had 10 of Kansas State's 14 points. He finished the half with 21 points.

The Wildcats went up 21-12 before the Red Raiders went on a 9-2 run, including a field goal and two free throws by Okorie, to pull within 27-25. But Kansas State kicked up the pace and closed the half on a 12-4 run to lead 39-29.

Roberson and Mike Singletary, the Red Raiders' top two scorers, went a combined 1 of 8 from the field in the first half.

share story