Mayweather calls out Pacquiao on Twitter
Superstar boxer Manny Pacquiao maintains he wants his next fight to be a long-awaited showdown with the undefeated Floyd Mayweather Jr.
And it looks like Mayweather wouldn't have it any other way.
Mayweather chimed in Tuesday via Twitter, writing: "Manny Pacquiao I'm calling you out let's fight May 5th and give the world what they want to see.
"My Jail Sentence was pushed back because the date was locked in. Step up Punk."
A Las Vegas judge ruled last week that Mayweather could start his 90-day jail stint June 1 after his guilty plea on domestic violence charges. He was initially set to report to jail Jan. 6, but the judge agreed to delay the sentence to allow the 34-year-old to fight May 5 at the MGM Grand.
The unexpected ruling immediately led to speculation that the door had been opened for the highly anticipated Mayweather-Pacquiao matchup.
In an interview from his native Philippines, the eight-division world champion Pacquiao reiterated to PhilBoxing.com his desire to fight Mayweather.
"I've said this over and over before and I'm saying this again: I want Floyd Mayweather, Jr. to be my next opponent and I haven't changed my choice despite recent developments," said the 33-year-old.
But an agreement for the fight still must be hammered out with Pacquiao's promoter, Bob Arum.
"I am meeting with my promoter, Bob Arum, on Tuesday and I will insist that the fight with Mayweather be given the preference," said Pacquiao, who has won 15 fights in a row dating back to 2005.
"Whoever the fans want me to fight, I will face him atop the ring. I don't choose the fight. It is my promoter who does because it's his job. My job is to fight, everybody must realize that."
The 80-year-old Arum has said he doesn't want the Pacquiao-Mayweather clash to be held at the MGM Grand, which seats 16,800. Arum has proposed building a larger temporary stadium in Las Vegas for the fight, or holding the match at Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas.
Other possible opponents for Pacquiao include light welterweight champion Tim Bradley, Juan Manuel Marquez or Miguel Cotto. Pacquiao won a controversial decision over Marquez in November in the third fight between the two, and scored a TKO victory over Cotto in November 2009.
Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer, whose company has promoted Mayweather's past five fights, has suggested Mayweather's Cinco de Mayo fight could be against popular 154-pound Mexican champion Saul ''Canelo'' Alvarez or lightweight champion Robert Guerrero, a Mexican-American from the Bay Area, if he can't make a deal with Pacquiao.