Joshua says he won’t be as cautious vs Povetkin as vs Parker
LONDON (AP) — Anthony Joshua believes his cautious approach against Joseph Parker in his last fight was justified after watching Dillian Whyte struggle against the New Zealander.
Joshua was taken the distance for the first time in his professional career to relieve Parker of the WBO heavyweight title and become a three-belt champion in March in Cardiff.
However, he highlighted Parker's fight with Whyte in July, in which both fighters were knocked down before the Briton earned a narrow unanimous points win, as proof that his strategy in Cardiff was correct.
"If I didn't win that Parker fight, I wouldn't be here now," Joshua said on Friday. "If I went to try and knock him out, anything could have happened.
"Look at the fight with Dillian and Parker. By an inch he got that decision, and I don't want fights like that. I want to win clear and make sure that it sets up bigger and better things."
Joshua's three world titles will be up for grabs against mandatory challenger Alexander Povetkin on Sept. 22 at Wembley Stadium.
"How I approach this fight is going to be completely different to how I approach the Parker fight because he's a completely different style of fighter," Joshua said. "But I'm confident."
Povetkin's only loss in 35 fights was in 2013 against Wladimir Klitschko. He's won all eight of his fights since then.
Joshua's trainer, Rob McCracken, said: "He's got upper body movement, Povetkin, so you've got to time him. He's not always there for the jab and the right hand, and he's always dangerous with his counters, you can't just let him walk in, dictate and throw, you've got to move and keep him off balance, as Klitschko did really well. He's a top fighter and a dangerous opponent."