Huck retains WBO cruiserweight title

BY foxsports • April 2, 2011

Marco Huck retained his WBO cruiserweight title after being taken to 12 rounds by previously undefeated challenger Ran Nakash of Israel on Saturday.

Huck's sixth defense of the minor title earned him the judges' overwhelming vote by 118-110, 118-110 and 116-112 in Gerry Weber Stadium.

The German champion improved to 32-1 (23 KOs), while Nakash lost for the first time in 26 fights (18 KOs).

Huck was due to fight Giacobbe Fragomeni but the Italian pulled out 11 days before because of injury and Nakash was the late replacement.

''Respect for the opponent,'' Huck's coach Ulli Wegner said. ''Marco had to hold through today. He did that well. His opponent prevented much of his attacking force, but I liked how he presented himself.''

Huck, at 1.87 meters, towered over his 1.78-meter opponent, and used his superior reach to jab to victory and bloody Nakash around his right eye.

''I'm disappointed.'' Nakash said, before playing down his condition. ''I'm good, I'm good. He's strong but I'm good.''


share story