Gasol's 29 points lead Spain past Poland
SIAULIAI, Lithuania (AP)
NEVER A DULL MOMENTNot when it comes to the Los Angeles Lakers. Get the latest offseason buzz:
- Kobe: Playing in Italy 'very possible'
- Kobe church altercation under review
- Gasol leads Spain past Poland
- Will Kobe play overseas next season?
- Lakers' Shaw accepts job with Pacers
- Whitlock: Brown's job to stop LeBron
- Witz: Jackson will be missed
- Witz: Ready for Bynum era?
- Coverage from exit interviews:
- Whitlock: Another LA implosion
Serbia, which lost to Spain in the title match two years ago, shook off a slow start to beat Italy 80-68.
Montenegro scored the last five points in overtime to beat Macedonia 70-65, and Georgia routed Belgium 81-59 at the start of the 24-team tournament on Wednesday.
Gasol and his brother Marc, who plays for the Memphis Grizzlies, dominated inside for Spain. They tied for a game-high seven rebounds each and Marc also added 16 points.
Juan Carlos Navarro had 23 points for Spain.
But Ricky Rubio, the guard signed by the Minnesota Timberwolves, missed all five field-goal attempts in 16 minutes of play. He finished with two steals and two turnovers.
Vladimir Dasic scored 20 points and had 16 rebounds to lead Montenegro over Macedonia. Bo McCalebb, a naturalized American, had 17 points for Macedonia. Georgia captain Zaza Pachulia, of the Atlanta Hawks, had 16 points against the overmatched Belgians.