Lorenzo Fertitta expects UFC to reach new deal with Hendo
Among the nearly 15,000 fans in attendance at last weekend's UFC 167 event in Las Vegas was Dan Henderson, the all-time mixed martial arts great who recently finished out his existing contract on a three-fight losing streak.
While there, Henderson and UFC CEO Lorenzo Fertitta briefly spoke, and although little was discussed in terms of future plans, Fertitta expects talks to pick up soon, and ultimately, for Henderson to re-sign with the UFC in a deal that will allow him to close his legendary career out with the organization.
"He's made it clear he wants to end his career in UFC, and I think we've made it clear we want him to end his career in the UFC," Fertitta told FOX Sports on Thursday.
The 43-year-old has fought all four of his UFC bouts since returning to the fold as a light-heavyweight, winning only a 2011 match with Mauricio "Shogun" Rua, a match many consider among the best all-time. Since then, he's lost consecutive bouts to Lyoto Machida, Rashad Evans and Vitor Belfort. The last loss marked the first time in his 16-year career he's ever been knocked out.
Henderson has previously discussed the possibility of moving down to middleweight, though it's unknown if that will be his targeted division if he's able to reach a new deal.
He's also made it known that he hopes to fight for at least two more years before even thinking about retiring. If both sides get their way, that's exactly what will happen, with Henderson retiring under the UFC banner.
"He's going to get back into training real soon," Fertitta said. "We'll sit down with his people and get something figured out."