Nalbandian denies misconduct, plans to appeal fine

BY foxsports • January 21, 2012

David Nalbandian has denied throwing water at a doping control official during the Australian Open and says he plans to appeal his $8,000 fine.

The 30-year-old Argentine outlined his version of events in three Twitter posts on Saturday.

He was penalized Friday for unsportsmanlike behavior following a five-set, second-round loss to American John Isner two days earlier. Official details of the alleged misconduct were vague, but Nalbandian elaborated in his Spanish-language tweets.

''I emphatically deny throwing water on an ATP staff member after the match against Isner,'' the 2002 Wimbledon finalist wrote. ''During the antidoping control while I was washing my hands the doctor unbelievably accused me of throwing water at him.

''With this fine, they would be carrying out two injustices, one on the court and one off. I will appeal the sanction.''

During the match, Nalbandian had been upset when umpire Kader Nouni declined his request to challenge a line call because he had taken too long.

Isner was facing break point at 8-8 in the fifth set when he hit a serve down the middle that was called out. Nouni overruled the call, saying it was an ace.

Nalbandian claimed he didn't realize the call had been overruled until he had walked to the umpire's chair. By the time he tried to challenge, Nouni said it was too late and gave the point to Isner.

He later said it was ''ridiculous playing this kind of tournament with this kind of umpires.''

Nalbandian's fine, confirmed by the International Tennis Federation on Friday, is easily the highest at the 2012 Australian Open. Julien Benneteau's $2,500 penalty for verbal abuse is the next highest.

Marcos Baghdatis was fined $1,250 for smashing four rackets on Wednesday. Down two sets and a break, Baghdatis sat in his chair at the changeover and whacked his racket on the court seven times until it was almost unrecognizable.


in this topic

share story