Zubar wary of wounded Gunners

BY foxsports • February 10, 2011

Wolves are looking to the future on and off the pitch as they attempt to build on their shock win over Premier League leaders Manchester United when they visit the Emirates Stadium on Saturday. The Black Country club announced on Thursday they are to proceed with the first step in the redevelopment of Molineux at the end of the season with a new £16million two-tier stand. On the field the team are preparing to meet the second-placed Gunners, who will want to make up for letting a four-goal lead slip in their 4-4 draw at Newcastle. Wolves, though, will want to reproduce the performance that sealed a 2-1 win over United which followed three successive league defeats. Their previous league victory had been against Chelsea and Mick McCarthy's men have also beaten the likes of Liverpool and Manchester City this season. Despite their win, Wolves are still second from bottom and ahead of the trip to north London, Zubar told the club's official website: "I know a bit about Arsenal with there being some French players there. "They were very disappointed about the draw with Newcastle and having been 4-0 up it felt like a loss. "They will want to put that right by beating us and it's their home game with the chance to show something positive to their fans. "But we've just beaten Manchester United and can go to the Emirates and try to get another positive result. "Last year we played very well at Arsenal but conceded in the last minute. "Again we can learn from that but it is never easy against Arsenal because they can score at any moment." Off the field, Phase One of a possible three will start with the demolition of the Stan Cullis (North) Stand in May with the new stand to be completed for the 2012/2013 season. Capacity will be raised by 2,700 to 31,700 with the funds for the project coming from the existing cash flow. A new club megastore, interactive museum, cafe, family information centre and new hospitality facilities will also form part of the redevelopment while there will be a larger accessible lounge for disabled fans. However, it means that during the redevelopment capacity will be reduced to approximately 23,995, which would mean tickets would be at a premium should Wolves survive. The club have appointed Buckingham Group Contracting Ltd for the project, the company responsible for the London 2012 handball arena and Stadium MK in Milton Keynes as well as the American Express Community Stadium, the new home of Brighton and Hove Albion which is due to open this summer. Should Phase Two go ahead then the total cost will be approximately £40million with capacity rising to around 36,000 while there have not yet been any costings for a possible Phase Three. Wolves chairman Steve Morgan said: "The aim is to drive the club forwards at all levels and to ensure we put our team in the best possible position to compete at the highest level. "To do that we need the best possible facilities at Molineux. "We know there is a balance to be struck. This decision is about a statement of our commitment, belief and ambition and about the planned success for Wolves over the medium to long term, but we will also continue our policy of investing in our talented, young squad because there is no point in having a great stadium if we don't have a great team to play in it."


share story