Wantaway Tevez fires new rebuke

BY foxsports • December 12, 2010

Tevez has had a transfer request turned down by the Blues after his desire to leave Eastlands became public knowledge on Saturday night. In a strongly-worded rebuttal, City made it clear that they felt Joorabchian had not been behaving in an appropriate manner and insinuated the controversial Iranian businessman is behind an abrupt about-turn, given Tevez had previously expressed an interest in extending his already-lucrative contract, which still has three-and-a-half years to run. However, having gone to Tenerife after being given one extra day off by manager Roberto Mancini, Tevez has been angered by City's stance. It is understood the 26-year-old is annoyed by the intimation that he is not making his own decisions and feels they cast doubt on his motives for leaving the Blues. He also feels the club statement rather stretches the truth of a relationship which became strained in August, when Tevez first expressed a desire to leave Eastlands. Desperately missing his two daughters, who are back home in Argentina following the break-up of his relationship with the children's mother, Tevez is now thought to be contemplating retirement, having been met with the likelihood of being told he must remain with City, at least until the end of the season. He is certainly not claiming to have played his last game for the club, and reports to the contrary have been rubbished by the Tevez camp, although clearly there are a huge number of issues that need to be addressed before the South American next pulls on the blue shirt, as he would be due to, either against Juventus on Thursday, or Everton four days later. "The club remains disappointed by this situation and particularly with the actions of Carlos' representative," said a club statement. "The written transfer request is in stark contrast to Carlos' stated position in both public and club contexts. "Significantly, over recent months, the club has also received numerous requests from Carlos' representative to renegotiate and improve his playing contract as well as more recently a request to extend that contract by another year." The words are at odds with the idea that Tevez is desperate to get away. Indeed, in an interview with the official club magazine, published on Wednesday, he addressed the issue of his daughters himself. "I miss my family, just like anyone would when they are not around," he said. "But I am happy here in Manchester and I feel good in myself. As for the subject of retiring, I did mention it in an interview, saying it had crossed my mind. But it is something I don't see happening for a long time to come. "It is not easy for me living abroad while my little girls are in Buenos Aires. But it is something you have to deal with. "It is a sacrifice that has to be made when you have made a commitment like I have done with City. It is something I am going to see through. Once that job is done I will have plenty of time with my kids." However, it is now being suggested privately that Tevez, having been asked to give the interview, felt pressurised and came up with answers he thought the club wanted to hear rather than ones that reflected the reality of his situation. Instead it has been pointed out that Tevez's unhappiness dates back to the start of the season and has festered on into the season, culminating in the player's angry reaction to being substituted against Bolton last week. In echoes of the traumatic week at Old Trafford that began with Wayne Rooney stating his desire to leave and ended with him signing a very lucrative contract extension, the issue of another deal has been raised. City make a point of not agreeing extensions in mid-season and as Tevez will still have three years to run on his current one at the end of the season, allied to the fact the Blues are attempting to trim their wage bill rather than increase it, there has been an understandable reluctance to negotiate. "Carlos' current five-year contract has three-and-a-half years to run and he is the highest paid player at Manchester City," said the statement. "We can also confirm that the (transfer) request has been rejected but this is both an unfortunate and unwelcome distraction. "The door remains open for Carlos to be selected to play." On a weekend when City joined Arsenal at the top of the Premier League, this news could not have come at a more delicate time. Tevez's 10 goals this season emphasise his importance to the Blues' cause. Manager Roberto Mancini realises he can hardly do without his skipper on the basis that Emmanuel Adebayor is set to leave next month and fellow striker Mario Balotelli had an outrageous strop after being substituted at West Ham yesterday and appears too temperamental to be relied upon with any degree of certainty.


share story