Scottish Premier League Roundup, Nov. 20

Published Nov. 20, 2010 7:01 p.m. ET

Rangers are three points clear at the top of the SPL after Kenny Miller's hat-trick gave them a 3-2 win at Kilmarnock, while Celtic only drew.

Miller claimed a treble against 10-man Kilmarnock at Rugby Park in Saturday's noon kick-off as the Gers fought back from behind to claim victory for the sixth time this season in the Scottish Premier League.

The striker converted twice from the penalty spot before grabbing the winner, with Connor Sammon netting a brace for an impressive Killie side, who had Mohamadou Sissoko sent off for conceding both spot-kicks.

The victory allowed the champions to move four points clear at the top of the SPL - and Celtic trimmed only one point off that later in the day as they were held to a 1-1 draw by Dundee United.

Sean Dillon's dramatic goal in the third minute of added time gave United a point at Parkhead and dented the Hoops' title hopes.

Tannadice striker David Goodwillie had missed an early one-on-one with Hoops keeper Fraser Forster before Gary Hooper drove past Dusan Pernis in the 23rd minute for his 11th goal of the season.

But with added time almost up, Dillon knocked in a floated free-kick from Barry Douglas to stun the home fans.


St Johnstone ended a run of four league defeats in a row to beat Aberdeen 1-0 and pile pressure back on Dons manager Mark McGhee courtesy of a late Zander Diamond own goal.

The Dons were reduced to 10 men just after the restart when Rory McArdle was shown a straight red for a reckless lunge on winger Cleveland Taylor.

And the visitors left Pittodrie with all three points when the unfortunate Diamond headed Peter MacDonald's cross into his own net with less than 10 minutes remaining.

The result means the Dons have now taken only four points from the last possible 36.

Elsewhere, Rudi Skacel and David Templeton scored impressive goals in each half as Hearts continued their excellent form with a 2-0 home win over Hamilton.

Skacel opened the scoring on 32 minutes by sending an effort from outside the box on the left wing screaming into the opposite corner of the basement side's net.

Templeton added the second in similar style seven minutes after the restart, scoring with an equally impressive strike which went in close to the left-hand post.

Accies were condemned to a fourth straight league loss after Simon Mensing had a late penalty saved by home goalkeeper Marian Kello.

Inverness moved up to fourth but were made to work hard for their 4-2 victory by a spirited 10-man Hibernian display at the Caledonian Stadium.

Adam Rooney's second-half hat-trick, taking his goal tally for the season to 13 in all competitions, added to Richie Foran's seventh-minute opener as Caley Thistle claimed just their second home league win of the campaign.

Inverness had their cause aided, however, by a red card being shown to Paul Hanlon just five minutes after coming on as a substitute at the start of the second half.

Derek Riordan and a Liam Miller penalty twice threatened to give Hibs a way back into the match, but they were ultimately undone by Rooney's clinical finishing, which included a spot-kick.

Nick Blackman's brilliant turn and shot earned Motherwell a point from a 1-1 draw at St Mirren.

Gareth Wardlaw headed Saints ahead when he glanced home Paul McGowan's cross in the 37th minute.

The Paisley side looked set to frustrate Motherwell until Blackman lashed a strike high into the net with 15 minutes left.