Scottish PL Roundup, Sep. 11

BY foxsports • September 11, 2010

Celtic returned to the top of the SPL table with a 3-0 home win over Hearts on Saturday after Rangers had ran out 2-1 victors at Hamilton.

But the Bhoys responded in style at Parkhead to reclaim their place at the summit.

The game turned in the 28th minute when, seconds after Gorgie midfielder Suso Santana had hit the post with a drive, James Forrest opened the scoring by knocking in a Daryl Murphy cross from close range.

Hearts boss Jim Jefferies was sent to the stand by referee Willie Collum immediately after for complaining about an offside in the lead-up to the goal but Shaun Maloney grabbed a clinching second before the break and in the dying stages Paddy McCourt scored a wonderful third.

Earlier, Kenny Miller's red-hot goalscoring streak had continued as he came to the rescue of the Gers with a last-minute winner at Hamilton.

The signs were good for Walter Smith's men when Nikica Jelavic netted his first goal for the club early on, before Accies looked set to earn a deserved point thanks to an own goal from Madjid Bougherra.

But Rangers ensured maximum points would be heading back to Ibrox when Miller came off the bench and had the final say with a dramatic last-gasp goal to maintain his 100% goal record in the SPL so far this season.

The win will be a confidence boost ahead of Rangers' Champions League clash with Manchester United on Tuesday night.

Elsewhere, Dundee United scored three times in the opening nine minutes as they won at home for the first time this season with a 3-1 victory over a below-par Aberdeen.

The hosts took the lead after only three minutes through captain Jon Daly before Aberdeen goalkeeper Mark Howard punched the ball into his own net three minutes later.

David Goodwillie looked to have put the game beyond the Dons when he slotted home from the penalty spot after Paul Hartley had fouled Craig Conway in the box with only nine minutes on the clock.

However, Scott Vernon pulled a goal back with a magnificent volley after 26 minutes to give his side some hope for the second half.

Aberdeen boss Mark McGhee was sent to the stand just before the break for his over-zealous protests after his side were denied a penalty when Zander Diamond looked to have been held in the box by Garry Kenneth.

Nick Blackman's brilliant early strike set Motherwell on their way to a convincing 2-0 victory over a disappointing St Johnstone side at McDiarmid Park.

Blackman found the top corner from 25 yards in the third minute and St Johnstone never recovered from the blow as they remained bottom of the SPL.

Kevin Rutkiewicz put through his own net six minutes before the break and Motherwell were rarely troubled in a professional second-half display.

Finland international Alexei Eremenko's debut goal proved the winner for Kilmarnock against a St Mirren side reduced to 10 men at Rugby Park.

Paul McGowan's red card for an apparent off-the-ball altercation with Manuel Pascali came after Eremenko had already put his new side 2-1 up.

Kilmarnock led at half-time through James Dayton's fine individual effort, but St Mirren levelled on 48 minutes with a goal from Steven Thomson.

It was a tale of two penalties as Hibernian failed to end over six months at Easter Road without a victory as they drew 1-1 with Inverness CT.

Derek Riordan looked set to help Hibs fans forget about departed Anthony Stokes following his eighth-minute opener.

But the striker was made to rue a 66th-minute penalty miss that struck the post as battling Inverness claimed a point in an entertaining game.

Terry Butcher's side had already hit the woodwork through Adam Rooney, before the striker made no mistake with his spot-kick eight minutes from time to snatch a draw.

share story